Stack caps

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Hey Levi just wondering if you could make a cover for my hood stack?

The coffee can doesnt travel well and plastic bag look like crap:D

Thinking something with a draw string would be nice. Or something that I can secure it for travel down the road when its on the open trailer.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Yeah, I've made a couple for friends. Got a particular fabric in mind? I've just used waterproof rubberized type stuff with velcro to tighten in on the bottom. Worked pretty well.

For mitre cuts would you guys want the cover to follow the cut or would a flat top cover work? Just curious, I might have to find some mitre cut stacks to measure the curve or get the angle of the mitre from one of you.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Sorry, things got busy so this got put on the back burner for a bit. I should have something later today, pics/pricing. I picked up some marine grade black vinyl to do it. I'm thinking I'll probably put a couple grommets on the bottom so you can tie it to the bed/hood so it won't blow off while hauling. If you're just parked in bad weather it should stay put without tying. I was going to do a drawstring or velcro but I'm pretty sure it would still work it's way up the stack and fly off while hauling.
I've got a company making some embroidered patches with a logo that will eventually make their way onto the stack covers but for now they'll be all black.
If any of you want a stack cover with a different fastening system, just let me know and I'll work it out. Thanks! :thumb:

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Okay, they'll start out at $20 plus shipping for a 4" and go up $2 per inch from there. So $22 for 5", $24 for 6", $26 for 7", etc. They'll have 2 grommets on the bottom so you can either tie the cover on for hauling or tie a loose string to it so if you forget to take it off when you start the truck you won't lose it. Shipping should only be a couple bucks as I can probably ship them in a flat rate envelope. Here's a couple pics I took last night. I'll try and get them on the website within the next few days but until then just call me if you need one. If you guys want more pics or have questions. Let me know. Thanks! :thumb:

DSCN1257.jpg

DSCN1258.jpg

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
i always heard from my tractor pulling buddy that hauling a tractor down the road can spin the turbo if you don't cap the stack. i just asked about this. these guys in the link say not necessary. i'm guessing you guys think it's a good idea? or is there another reason to cap?http://www.dmaxcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4872

Not sure about the turbo spinning while hauling down the road. I would think that wouldn't be an issue. These are mainly for keeping water, debris, out of the stack while hauling/parked. They'll cut down soot on the truck from startup after rain. :thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
i always heard from my tractor pulling buddy that hauling a tractor down the road can spin the turbo if you don't cap the stack. i just asked about this. these guys in the link say not necessary. i'm guessing you guys think it's a good idea? or is there another reason to cap?http://www.dmaxcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4872

It will most definantely spin the turbo on large Cats.... I have replaced turbo's on Cat equipment because they were shipped with the turbo open (shipping company hated that bill). Wipes out the bearings with no lube. It is also to keep debris out of the engine as well but mostly to prevent turbo bearing damage.

I would think your stack would have to be in the open, say over the cab if in the bed. Prolly wouldn't force to much air if it was sheltered by the cab. Still for 25 bucks or so is worth the risk, I think not...

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
It will most definantely spin the turbo on large Cats.... I have replaced turbo's on Cat equipment because they were shipped with the turbo open (shipping company hated that bill). Wipes out the bearings with no lube. It is also to keep debris out of the engine as well but mostly to prevent turbo bearing damage.

I would think your stack would have to be in the open, say over the cab if in the bed. Prolly wouldn't force to much air if it was sheltered by the cab. Still for 25 bucks or so is worth the risk, I think not...

x2...the turbo will spin and since the oil pump is not it will starve the turbo of oil and you get a nice repair bill:(

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Any progress on the Mitre style caps?

Yes, I made a couple this week. Just trying to make them look right. They look goofy off the stack no matter what but the first couple ones were just plain silly looking. :rofl: They're basically ready to roll. Just wanted to fix a few small things then I'll post em up.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho

x2...the turbo will spin and since the oil pump is not it will starve the turbo of oil and you get a nice repair bill:(

You guys ever hear of it happening on light duty pickups? I haven't, I'd agree it would probably have to be up above the cab with the truck being towed backward.

What about just sewing in some relatively strong magnets to the bottom of the cover, Just my .02

magnets wouldn't work on a ss pipe but it would on a chrome one. i vote for a slit in the side and a big piece of velcro

Magnets? Maybe, but they would have to pretty good size to prevent the cover from sliding up the pipe. X2 on the stainless.

I did velcro on a friend's hood stack and it eventually blew off going down the road. Seems it works it's way up the pipe until it's off. He ended up with grommets and tied a cord to the fender to hold it on.

Fact is, for parking you probably don't need anything holding it on. For towing, I prefer grommets with a cord but if someone wants one built with a different fastener I'll do what they want. After all, it's going to be you putting it on and taking it off, not me. So it's your call on what you want me to put on. I'm happy with the fastening as long as you are. :)