sooo, my starter fell off yesterday

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
A thread for everyone's amusement...

Evidently the bottom bolt fell out and then the starter mount plate cracked right under the top bolt hole and it fell out. It was off once before, replaced under warranty a bit over a year ago. Got a reman from carquest and ate the core charge so I could keep this one, not like it was worth anything for core with a broken mount plate anyway. Dad's starter has been zinging sometimes so I figure my starter was good, I can take his front plate off and swap it onto that starter and put it on his truck. I had a metric bolt that was about the same size but I had to grind some off the end to make it go in enough. I assume that's because of how the other bolt had the threadless part on the end, fits into a hole? Anyway got it back together today when the starter came in. Tight fit in there...

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
That sucks, It's weird how some people say it's next to impossible to get the starter off when they go to change the water pump and then someone else's falls off while they are driving it...twice. Kinda makes you wonder who calibrates GM's torque wrenches doesn't it?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
A thread for everyone's amusement...

Evidently the bottom bolt fell out and then the starter mount plate cracked right under the top bolt hole and it fell out. It was off once before, replaced under warranty a bit over a year ago. Got a reman from carquest and ate the core charge so I could keep this one, not like it was worth anything for core with a broken mount plate anyway. Dad's starter has been zinging sometimes so I figure my starter was good, I can take his front plate off and swap it onto that starter and put it on his truck. I had a metric bolt that was about the same size but I had to grind some off the end to make it go in enough. I assume that's because of how the other bolt had the threadless part on the end, fits into a hole? Anyway got it back together today when the starter came in. Tight fit in there...

Sorry about the luck of that,wonder why it fell off? have you had it off before? Trans install?

whats the carquest part #

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
It didn't fall off twice, just this time. The other time it was off was because it kept zinging so they replaced it under factory warranty feb 07 right before it ran out. This one had been good until it fell off. Makes you wonder how well they had that bottom bolt torqued though. The top bolt that was still there with the chunk of starter came off easy too.

Don't know the part # offhand but I can find the reciept and look. It's in the shop with the starter. It was 190 plus core, 267 with tax I think. I know I could have found one cheaper on ebay but I got it next day and have it fixed. At least they were way cheaper than GM, they wanted 500 for a reman or 800 new.

Parts guy said the computer said hitachi. Looks exactly like the one I had that had a sticker that said isuzu on it, so maybe hitachi makes them, or hitachi remanufacturers them. Only sticker on the carquest reman just said reman, so who knows. Works anyway.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It didn't fall off twice, just this time. The other time it was off was because it kept zinging so they replaced it under factory warranty feb 07 right before it ran out. This one had been good until it fell off. Makes you wonder how well they had that bottom bolt torqued though. The top bolt that was still there with the chunk of starter came off easy too.

Don't know the part # offhand but I can find the reciept and look. It's in the shop with the starter. It was 190 plus core, 267 with tax I think. I know I could have found one cheaper on ebay but I got it next day and have it fixed. At least they were way cheaper than GM, they wanted 500 for a reman or 800 new.

Parts guy said the computer said hitachi. Looks exactly like the one I had that had a sticker that said isuzu on it, so maybe hitachi makes them, or hitachi remanufacturers them. Only sticker on the carquest reman just said reman, so who knows. Works anyway.

Hitachi makes a lot of stuff and other companys like to put there name on hitachi stuff.

Glad you got it back together.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
I coulndt get mine out. AT ALL, it must have been because of the lift but I would need to pull the torsion bar and more than likely the stress bar that is on the lift. My problem was the solenoid broke, since I coulndt get the starter out I just siliconed the hell out of the solenoid and its been working great for 2 years!!

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Did you take the exhaust loose? It won't come out without moving the exhaust out of the way. If needed you could remove the entire front pipe, pull it backwards and get more room.

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
After the dealer replaced my clutch my starter came loose and broke. I pulled it out through the wheelwell, was tight but there was enough room.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Starters hate my truck I guess. The carquest one would randomly not do anything, mostly when it was hot. Left me unable to start the truck a few times until the starter got cooler. So yesterday I got another one from them and replaced it. The new one spun over faster than the first ever had, so I was happy. Then tonight I shut my truck off and the starter was still spinning. The gear wasn't thrown out, just spinning. I'm hoping it wasn't out when I started but I didn't hear it grinding, so hopefully I have teeth on the flywheel still. I couldn't get it to quit until I pulled both battery cables. Tried tapping on it to get it to let loose but it just spun. So now I have to get it warrantied again... :mad: At least I am good at pulling them now, but this is bullshit. Stupid remanned in mexico shit.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Man Nick,what are you doing :rofl:. My Honda Foreman starter was sticking a while back.Wouldn't quit cranking :mad:. After some hammering and unhooking the cables for a while it started working again :rolleyes:.

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
Evidently I exhausted the starter supply in Denver by ordering the one they stock... They'd have to get one from farther away, it will be tuesday before it comes in. I can't be without my truck that long so I had to do something.

So today when I finally had a minute I took the starter off. Pulled the mount plate off it and put it on the one that originally broke the plate and fell off. The inside of that new one was black and stank bad, got pretty hot... Put the other one back on and it works fine.