So I did something stupid this weekend.....

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
What are you up to?
No good lol.

So I did find a place to get the DPS file to change the VIN in the Airbag module. BUT. There are two problems. One, it's $100, and the other, and bigger one, it states that it can't be changed on the module from some vehicles, such as the Malibu. The one I have is out of a 2015 Sonic, and based on the interchanges, the module from the 2015-2016 Malibu, 2015-2016 Sonic and the 2014 & 2017 Regal (I'm not sure if it's 2014-2017 or 2014 and 2017 - Logic would suggest if it'll work in a 2014 and 2017, it'll work in 15 & 16 too, but you never know), so they're all the same or compatible module. So it's possible that it's firmware SPECIFIC to the Malibu that blocks the change, yet the firmware for the Sonic or Regal may still allow it.... I don't know.

So on to building a new bench harness that'll work with pretty much anything. My current one won't work with the airbag module because I don't have it set up for low speed GMLAN.

Reactions: TheBac

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My part number is 13596602. There are two types, with AW7 (rear seat airbags) and without. At least thats what I found. Your interchange is correct. It is weird that the Sonic interchanges, but the Cruze doesnt.

I dont know what a DPS file is, so ya got me there.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So the one I have is 13593290, which according to 'one of the online GM Parts places', was superseded by your 13596602.

DPS is the GM software we've talked about over in the T87 thread that can 'do things' with GM modules. The file is the 'directions' required to make it 'do things' lol. So the $94 question is is the VIN change block something SPECIFIC to the Malibu firmware, or all modules within that compatibility matrix?

I figure if we can get the VIN to change in this one I have here, we should be able to get yours changed. Or I just send this one to you with the right VIN lol. I'll have to keep looking and see if I can find what's needed somewhere other than where they want $100 for it...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Have to do that to the wife’s Benz regularly. Made a tube for my compressor with a fitting and left it in her glove box. When she hears it gurgle she sets it on the kitchen counter so I know to blow it out. I can’t figure out what gets in there, no leaves or debris can seen or found? Starting to think mildew and mold is the culprit. How’d you blow your out? Hose from the top down or can you find the drains near the chassis?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Have to do that to the wife’s Benz regularly. Made a tube for my compressor with a fitting and left it in her glove box. When she hears it gurgle she sets it on the kitchen counter so I know to blow it out. I can’t figure out what gets in there, no leaves or debris can seen or found? Starting to think mildew and mold is the culprit. How’d you blow your out? Hose from the top down or can you find the drains near the chassis?
I wonder if you could use mold control or the AC tablets to prolong the cleanings if you think it's fungus. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N5AS60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back on my 95 volvo the drains for the sunroof ran down the A pillars and dumped in the gap between the firewall, inner fender, and fender. I got in the habit of just using water to clean it a few times a year. Open sunroof and dump water in the corners watching it flow through the holes to the unknown.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I did not blow them out. I wont do that....too risky.
I used a neat little brush on a long snake I found via my friends on the Cruze forum. Snaked it down carefully, pull back, clean brush , repeat. Kept measuring how far I was at as I went. I then used hot water thru a straw down the drains to flush out whatever was left...which also allowed me to test if they actually were clear or leaking into the cabin.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Wed-Fri was up to Silver Lake with my wife, meeting up with some HS friends. Stayed at a nice BnB, too. Needed the break.

Had a problem while installing the turbo today. Found a stripped stud thread in the turbo mount. Had to remove the manifold to address that, and wouldnt you know it....found a busted manifold bolt in the head. That took a little bit of time to drill and tap, but its done. Kinda glad that its addressed. Having an exhaust leak pop up after all this work wouldve sucked.

I just have to change the spark plugs, change oil/filter, fill with coolant and then I should be able to start the car. Then its on to suspension/brakes/hubs.

What part of silver lake did you stay at? We were up there in early October riding

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
We were in Hart, stayed at a really nice air-bnb home. Then out by the lighthouse and a MacDunes dune ride.

You realize you drove right by my house when you drove thru Lansing on your way there and back, right?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Still waiting on the SRS module. The guy I sent it to had no luck changing the VIN. Will just deal with it.

Man, this car scoots. You'd think it'd be the same as my '17, but something is different. Gets up to speed very quickly. Smooth runner. Loves 50mph on city streets.

Reactions: lutzjk913

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
We were in Hart, stayed at a really nice air-bnb home. Then out by the lighthouse and a MacDunes dune ride.

You realize you drove right by my house when you drove thru Lansing on your way there and back, right?

Nope. Had no clue man. Wish I had know. Lol

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio

We stayed on the dunes far north end. We parked on the dunes and then walked back for lunch. It was a good time.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Still waiting on the SRS module. The guy I sent it to had no luck changing the VIN. Will just deal with it.

Man, this car scoots. You'd think it'd be the same as my '17, but something is different. Gets up to speed very quickly. Smooth runner. Loves 50mph on city streets.
Funny thing... My wifes 15 Malibu 2.0T seems to scoot halfway decent, and doesn't sound like it's going to rapidly disassemble itself, but the 2.0T in the 2024 XT4 loaner I have has no pelotas and when you get into it, it sounds like it's going to just go away. My CT6, and even the Malibu, to a degree, will put you into your seat. This XT4, not so much.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I think it’s interesting that when the LTG came out in 2013 it was 272 hp, now in the CT4 it’s 237/258. Yeah it’s now an LSY, but it replaces the LTG. Just never understood why they dialed back the power so much.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Got the used airbag module back, plugged it in and it works, even with the VIN mismatch. To heck with it, Im not going to worry about it bc all the modules are finally talking to each other. Heck, even the trans is shifting better since Stabilitrak is functioning again.