Smoked 6 Speed Transmission?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
My transmission was slipping bad and I could only get up to 20 mph at 3000 RPMs this evening. It was in and out if I would shut it off it would drive "ok" for a short distance slipping some. I've been noticing for the last 2,000 miles or so an off and on low "hum" especially when taking off from a stop almost like a transfer case issue or differential issues. But today it started out shifting kind of bad all day before it went out and the hum was there all day. I got codes P0722 P0877 and P2771 when it started really slipping. The 4Wheel drive code may have to do with putting the transfer case into neutral for the tow. The transmission has a transgo jr and has been tuned for 100k miles so the trans is overdue. Fluid is a little burnt and brown but also has 100K miles on it as well.

I would like ya'lls input before I going ordering expensive parts. Not sure yet if its going to a shop or a friend will help me out. I ain't got much free time.

Thanks

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I haven't pulled the plug, but unlikely. Pump rub was taken care of with MAs kit 30-50K ago and I've looked and not seen any fluid underneath.

When the tcase lets go isn't that one of those things that when its done its done? I was able to drive most of the way onto the flatbed and into the garage.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
When my case shit the bed I got a grinding noise that I wasnt able to pin point at the time. Drove it another 100 miles trying to get home but it gave up before I made it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The nylons on the shift forks could have broken and allowing it to jump out of engagement. All 3 of your codes could be because of this. Or your encoder motor could have failed and not telling the TCM the correct range that its in.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I guess I'll clear the codes and take it for a spin to see what happens. If it will shift in and out of 4WD would that indicate whether or not its the nylons or encoder motor?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Well took it for a spin had to get on it a little to get it to really act up. This time I ended up getting "shift range inhibited" and new codes. It also went into and out of 4WD fine if that means anything.
p0751
p0732
p0877
p0761
p0756
p0700

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I also got a log if its worth posting, but the only semi pertinent PIDs logged where. Input and output speeds, and trans slip.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Cleared the codes and went for a drive all again after taping up the TCM harness that rubs through. All I could do is idle around just about and the trans got worse as it heated up. At first it would go ok and only slip bad while taking off. A little after taking off the truck would jerk and then idle around like normal. As it heated up there was no jerk just constant slipping. The hum is more of a very deep grinding noise and it very erratic not constant. I don't recall it while the trans was cooler. I only got the trans up to 54*C and it looked ~1" over filled, but there was tons of air bubbles in the fluid. I checked the fluid the same day the trans started slipping bad before it happened and the level looked fine. I got codes
P0700
P0877
right off the bat just about and code
P0762
before I called it quits.

Dropped that pan in look for clutch material and look at the internal filter and found a lot of metal and some clutch material. 1 bigger chunk of metal was 1/8"x 1/8"

Here is a pic of the pan. Do you think this is more damage then just a normal build?

Attachments

• DSC01618 (Copy).jpg
    DSC01618 (Copy).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Looks like its trashed to me....but can only see a small pic on my phone.

Time to drop trans.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Alli is trashed. looks like big dent in the pan. May have broken the filter and straved the pump for fluid.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'd say you got it GOOD. I would guess your converter ir done for this world with those chunks in there. Would hate to see what the inside of your valve body looks like with that much in the pan.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I knew it was coming, so it puts me at ease a little. I was just hoping it would wait until I had a new daily. Really glad it didn't happen on a trip, but it did happen the day after I got back from vacation. So it sat in the garage for 10 days while I was gone instead of at the shop getting worked on.