Shortblock build----ANGRY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
Having trouble with builder. I was quoted one price and now the price of balancing and assembly has doubled. I am getting the shaft and I don't know what to do about it. The builder already has the bulk of my money, so I feel I'm stuck.
For the shortblock only is what the builder is doing.
$4500 to balance and assemble!:mad::mad:

This is bull!!! Someone have any help or advice. I've talked to several and this is the second complaint on this builder otherwise known as one of the best. I've got a call in to him and he's looking over it but I feel he won't budge.Yet he's got my money, what to do?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
if this builder's cliental base is from diesel enthusiast who are web-based (get their knowledge from these online forums) then I'd start considering putting his name out there with this situation...

if he isn't, it won't do a lot of good to post his name online as most of his business isn't from online-based customers so you won't "hurt" him by doing so...

back to if he's online.... another thing to consider is even though the price has changed, if the new price isn't more than what his other happy customers have paid, your argument won't mean much because others paid the price and are satisfied with it. In fact, they might be upset that you were ever even offered the work at a great difference in price whereas they paid what you are now being asked to pay...

if no agreement was met neither party is obligated to "their role" in the deal. Meaning, you don't have to let him finish the work and he doesn't have to do the work for a lesser amount. Although, even a verbal agreement is a legally binding contract in some states so he may have to honor the previous price or take his losses and severe the "contract" and pay whatever "punitive" damages may have been incurred by you.

my $.02 Good luck.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
he's not online so to speak, but well known. I do however believe most of his clientele is from this site as well as dp. I am the second person that has complained about time frame and price change. I do not know the guy that had problems and i will not tell the person's name that told me such.

I understand the urgency in keeping others from making the same mistake, but he has my money and my motor.

All i can say if you have a build in the process or are considering, WAIT!!!! until mine is resolved.

A VIP here now has his hands in the mix.
I understand the concept of other's paying the same and being happy with it, BUT my verbal contract pricing changed now added $3k to the total.
builder is in process of itemizing, detailing dexcription of costs. I'll go from there.
Again well known(so I say) builder , just now starting to have complaints. I'll say this he's west of the Mississippi River.

Last edited:

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
if this builder's cliental base is from diesel enthusiast who are web-based (get their knowledge from these online forums) then I'd start considering putting his name out there with this situation...

if he isn't, it won't do a lot of good to post his name online as most of his business isn't from online-based customers so you won't "hurt" him by doing so...

back to if he's online.... another thing to consider is even though the price has changed, if the new price isn't more than what his other happy customers have paid, your argument won't mean much because others paid the price and are satisfied with it. In fact, they might be upset that you were ever even offered the work at a great difference in price whereas they paid what you are now being asked to pay...

if no agreement was met neither party is obligated to "their role" in the deal. Meaning, you don't have to let him finish the work and he doesn't have to do the work for a lesser amount. Although, even a verbal agreement is a legally binding contract in some states so he may have to honor the previous price or take his losses and severe the "contract" and pay whatever "punitive" damages may have been incurred by you.

my $.02 Good luck.

Granted but does this make it right? Bad business ethics if you ask me.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Don't post the name, yet. Be patient.

I can say i was quoted 6,000 to assemble and machine... You got a better deal than i did!! You are not O ringing or fire ringing right? I wasn't either.

I did more for less than half the price, going with my Brother's Guy's. Only 2 guys west of the Mississippi who have a DMAX torque plate, unless somebody else recently made one. The Guy you used is one of them.

Sorry to hear of the grief Dude.:(

ON EDIT: Sorry to say I paid less, that prolly makes it feel worse. Bad taste on my part. I apoligize.

Last edited:

mvnvltn

Part's Limit Tester
Aug 22, 2007
Sykesville, MD
I haul Lexus vehicles for a living. I can't tell you how many time's I have heard of a customer being misquoted. Since it was their fault, they eat the difference without a fuss. That is part of business.

The fact is that some of us have limited funds to fix our trucks with. when you are told a price that is the one that sticks in your head. When thry call you half way into the build and tell you they need $3,000 more, thats where I would have to draw the line. You can almost expect $500, maybe $1,000, but that is the limit. A builder that does this for a living should present the entire $ senario before accepting the job, and then stand by it.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
I haul Lexus vehicles for a living. I can't tell you how many time's I have heard of a customer being misquoted. Since it was their fault, they eat the difference without a fuss. That is part of business.

The fact is that some of us have limited funds to fix our trucks with. when you are told a price that is the one that sticks in your head. When thry call you half way into the build and tell you they need $3,000 more, thats where I would have to draw the line. You can almost expect $500, maybe $1,000, but that is the limit. A builder that does this for a living should present the entire $ senario before accepting the job, and then stand by it.

Thank You, I agree. Very well said. Some will say well you gotta pay to play but I did pay and a huge chunk at that. It's hard earned money, CASH. I was told one thing and said, ok. Now it's more? It rubs me the wrong way when someone is taken advantage of.
Hopefully he'll notice a mistake or something and fix it, he's supposed to be looking at it and faxing/calling me. I could've already had my motor in and truck running. On top of that it's taken 5 months to build. I guess partly because I hadn't paid in full.?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I dont think the name is all that important

I do think its best to talk to the person and have him explain the situation...there must be a reason?

I feel bad for you Jeromy.....and im sorry this has happened!

mvnvltn

Part's Limit Tester
Aug 22, 2007
Sykesville, MD
Thank You, I agree. Very well said. Some will say well you gotta pay to play but I did pay and a huge chunk at that. It's hard earned money, CASH. I was told one thing and said, ok. Now it's more? It rubs me the wrong way when someone is taken advantage of.
Hopefully he'll notice a mistake or something and fix it, he's supposed to be looking at it and faxing/calling me. I could've already had my motor in and truck running. On top of that it's taken 5 months to build. I guess partly because I hadn't paid in full.?

I didn't give a dollar until service was complete.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Sorry to hear about your problems Jeromy, I remember when your problem first started back in Abilene. Hopefully everything gets worked out soon. Where do they have you working now?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I've heard both sides of this now.

Basically, after the work was quoted, the customer wanted additional work done.

The shop is BMS, and I still say they are our best option today.

All the other shops doing rebuilds are having about a 50% failure rate in the first month. Seriously. One of my friends is missing Bakersfield due to such a case.

I've never said BMS was the cheapest. But their track record is the best I'm aware of.

I pay for my stuff at BMS like anyone. I don't endorse ANYONE to get discounts or freebies. I endorse them only because I've checked them out myself.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
This is very common in business in all industries.

The way to insure it doesn't happen to you, is to always your quote "freshened up" when your spec changes, either up or down.

It's both the shop's fault and the customer's fault, and all it is, is a lack of accurate communication.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
The main problem i saw here was speculation at price, not even really knowing a hammered down total, and not in writing.

I try to get all my large deals in writing, fax back/forth if necessary. Email usually doesnt even cut it for me.

Good luck LLY in your endeavor.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
a price doubling, regardless of what the amount is, is an aweful big jump to occur solely on a miscommunication????

Still a shame and I would CERTAINLY hate to be in the situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.