Selecting the correct head gaskets?

RPEVEHOUSE

Oct 29, 2022
Auburn, Alabama
Hello all, new here and I got a couple of questions related to head gaskets. My LLY has been up in Nashville at Shacklett’s for going on a year getting the billet mains and block work done. Therefore I have kind of taken a break from duramax for that long. They are punching it .020 and line honing with a torque plate, also decking the block .005. Question is what am I gonna need head gasket wise? Grade D or can I run the wavestopper I got ? Thanks in advance

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you want to do it correctly you need to measure piston protrusion to know what grade or thickness gasket you need.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
As mentioned, to do it right ,you need to measure. I ended up needing an A gasket on the one I just put together.

RPEVEHOUSE

Oct 29, 2022
Auburn, Alabama
As mentioned, to do it right ,you need to measure. I ended up needing an A gasket on the one I just put together.
I plan on doing it correctly and measuring piston protrusion. So I guess there’s really no need in worrying about it till I’ve got all my measurements. Was just on my mind. What’s the deal with the GM right side grade D gaskets? I see prices up around a grand for that one bank, wow

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I plan on doing it correctly and measuring piston protrusion. So I guess there’s really no need in worrying about it till I’ve got all my measurements. Was just on my mind. What’s the deal with the GM right side grade D gaskets? I see prices up around a grand for that one bank, wow
D should be the overbore gasket. Can't explain the price

RPEVEHOUSE

Oct 29, 2022
Auburn, Alabama
Yes it is the overbite gasket. Kind of shocked me when I saw that price. Can I ask, who do you guys trust when it comes to ordering parts? Is there a particular retailer you guys try to buy from? Most of my parts were purchased from Lincoln, Wagler direct and socal direct

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Reach out to one of the vendors here. That's your best bet for getting a straight answer and good customer service