Security cameras

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I'm sure several of you own cameras or have knowledge of them.

Had a couple simple things disappear last week, which usually leads to bigger things later.

I'm wanting to put survalance cameras around my land. I'd like to get 3 along the road which is close to 300 feet straight from the house, and the other two would be 4-450 ft and I'd like to put 4-6 around the house.

The wireless would be great around the house as long as they would pick the router up from 75 ft away, and I'm clueless as what to I'm going to use by the road as I really hate to run that much wire but I can do so of need be.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
My neighbors have cameras set on motion sensing to take pictures or start video and sent to them via text. I always jump their fence at night and moon the cameras so they get a picture of my ass in a text. :happy2:

Goss

Apr 4, 2016
Mulberry Grove, Il
Dependinng on distance most womt transmit very far. I bought the motion detector sensors for 20 bucka at rural king then i used my trail cams since its not hunting season yet. Just a suggestion. Also stick an ADT sicgn there

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
My neighbors have cameras set on motion sensing to take pictures or start video and sent to them via text. I always jump their fence at night and moon the cameras so they get a picture of my ass in a text. :happy2:

That's so childish:rolleyes:
But I like it.:D

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I am going to do proximity alarms, but by the road they would go off non stop.

I know the stuff is gone when it's stolen but at least I'll know who did it as this is a small town and I can handle business.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I just bought a set of FLIR cameras and got the wiring for them yesterday. wireless isn't so great from what I hear and read. FLIR is a good brand. you can get long wires for them. 100 feet is enough to watch what I need to at my place. had a guy come and really jack my stuff up a month ago. took his knife to the tires on my 15, my 86 and my TDI commuter. still don't have either of the pickups back. caught the guy in my driveway. I know him and the cops hand cuffed him for two hours and said it was his word against mine where I didn't see him put the knife to the paint or the tires even though he was standing there as the tires were leaking and had a knife on him. cameras would have nailed him. its a long story but needless to say I have cameras now.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Dependinng on distance most womt transmit very far. I bought the motion detector sensors for 20 bucka at rural king then i used my trail cams since its not hunting season yet. Just a suggestion. Also stick an ADT sicgn there

I'm making my own signs letting people know it's under surveillance and alarms. I'm also going to get a power supply to run them if the power goes out. I have no neighbors close but a lot of riff raft and bullshit traffic, mostly people making short cuts or just cruising and getting ****ed up.

I want to see who's dicking around, won't take much to find out where they live.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I just bought a set of FLIR cameras and got the wiring for them yesterday. wireless isn't so great from what I hear and read. FLIR is a good brand. you can get long wires for them. 100 feet is enough to watch what I need to at my place. had a guy come and really jack my stuff up a month ago. took his knife to the tires on my 15, my 86 and my TDI commuter. still don't have either of the pickups back. caught the guy in my driveway. I know him and the cops hand cuffed him for two hours and said it was his word against mine where I didn't see him put the knife to the paint or the tires even though he was standing there as the tires were leaking and had a knife on him. cameras would have nailed him. its a long story but needless to say I have cameras now.

Another main reason I want them. People are shady and I am always gone and I'm very impatient, if you'll steal dumb shit from a man, you'll be back for bigger items.

My stuff stays locked up in the garage and my grill has a 3/8" chain and lock on it. But I have a lot of animals as well and my vehicles sit out from time to time

How did you keep your composure? I would have beat the dog **** out of him.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have a Dahua IPC-HFW4300S that I really like. Good day & night image quality, and runs on PoE so just one cable. From what I read, most of the Dahua cameras are pretty decent, especially for the price.

You can get 1000 feet of direct-burial Cat5e cable for $70, and run that to your cameras near the road. No need to bother with conduit, IMO. It is all low-voltage, and should be legal to direct bury.

I use Blue Iris software to handle the recording. You can setup certain areas to ignore motion, so it won't record every car driving by, but as soon as one turns onto your driveway, it starts recording.

The biggest problem is a clever thief will also steal your recording computer / DVR.

EDIT: It looks like Amcrest is now selling the Dahua cameras in the US with better firmware (everything has been translated to English lol) for a few bucks more. They also sell standalone Network Video Recorder (NVR) boxes so you don't have to use a PC. Probably worth looking into, as it might be a good fit for your situation.

Last edited:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
The problem with a network camera is distance wise you are limited to 323ft of cable and then signal strength drops off and you may not get a connection without using extenders. Depending on how your place is setup with trees etc you could put the cameras on your house or close enough to the house that you are running short distances of cable and then you can use a varifocal lens to zoom in and get the picture you want. You can also help the zoom with using a higher megapixel camera like a 1080p instead of 720p. I would recommend IP cameras only because of the better picture quality you can get over older analog. quite a few of the recording systems out there can be setup to send alerts to your phone via email if they detect movement.

I've been doing commercial CCTV for over 34 years now. Where I work I have 4 systems at the sites I take care of. #1. 6 cameras, #2. 16 cameras, #3. 110 cameras and #4. 297 cameras. All are IP based and analog cameras that at the 2 larger sites we are replacing them as fast as budgets allow.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks Dave, there's so many options out there and of coarse everyone says theirs is the best. I'll check em out, I want a quality video. Will the cat-5 cable be fine? I'm going to run conduit to the ground so they can't be cut and just bury the rest of it

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
The problem with a network camera is distance wise you are limited to 323ft of cable and then signal strength drops off and you may not get a connection without using extenders. Depending on how your place is setup with trees etc you could put the cameras on your house or close enough to the house that you are running short distances of cable and then you can use a varifocal lens to zoom in and get the picture you want. You can also help the zoom with using a higher megapixel camera like a 1080p instead of 720p. I would recommend IP cameras only because of the better picture quality you can get over older analog. quite a few of the recording systems out there can be setup to send alerts to your phone via email if they detect movement.

I've been doing commercial CCTV for over 34 years now. Where I work I have 4 systems at the sites I take care of. #1. 6 cameras, #2. 16 cameras, #3. 110 cameras and #4. 297 cameras. All are IP based and analog cameras that at the 2 larger sites we are replacing them as fast as budgets allow.

Good to know, I could put two cameras at the end of the driveway facing opposite directions and should keep me under 300 feet.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Another main reason I want them. People are shady and I am always gone and I'm very impatient, if you'll steal dumb shit from a man, you'll be back for bigger items.

My stuff stays locked up in the garage and my grill has a 3/8" chain and lock on it. But I have a lot of animals as well and my vehicles sit out from time to time

How did you keep your composure? I would have beat the dog **** out of him.

I heard the tires going flat when he cut the sidewall out of my jetta tires. I know this guy and he is messed up on drugs and had him do construction work for me in the past and when I had to let him go cause he was so messed up that he wasn't able to get anything done he wanted all the money for a job not even closed to finished. he first tore up the floor joists at the house we are building (where he was doing some work) and then when I still wouldn't pay him the 500$ he thought he had earned he went after my rigs to the tune of 17K in paint jobs and tires) that's where I caught him but since I had seen him and identified him when I came out the door with a .40 (not the beer bottle) and the phone in my hand on the phone with the police I went to confront him but the dispatch lady cooled me off a little as he left and the cops showed up I got him to come back by sending him a text to see if he wanted to come get the money he thought he was owed and the dumbass showed back up (and we live miles out of town) in under 8 min. the cops cuffed him and question him for 2 hours and finally said we have to let him go its his word against yours. he is in jail for a bunch of other counts of burglary and felon in pos of a weapon. He'll get his when he gets out :thumb:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Crazy, drugs around here have changed the laws of the land in self defense, so many people are so ****ed up and mentally unstable it's nuts. Party scene is way different than it was 10 years ago, it's a way of life for them now that ruins others.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Officially, all ethernet cables must be 100m (328 feet) or shorter to comply with the spec. However, you can often get away with going farther than that, especially when running slower speeds than the cable's max rating. But there is of course no guarantee.

Cat5 spec is 100Mbps @ 100m.
Cat5e spec is 1,000Mbps @ 75m.
Cat6 spec is 1,000Mbps @ 100m.
Cat6a is rated for 10,000Mbps @ 100m.

People have reported 500+ feet of Cat5e working at 100Mbps in real life. I'd say get the cable ends, and see how long it goes! The PoE might actually be your limiting factor here, since the voltage will drop over the distance. If in doubt, go with the highest wire gauge you can justify. If you can get some 23 AWG (or bigger) Cat6 cable, I think you'd be fine at 400', but you probably want to test first, since it does exceed the spec by 25%. Just make sure you force that cable run to 100Mbps, as it probably can't do 1,000Mbps at that range. 10Mbps probably isn't fast enough to stream video, FYI.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I have personally run and certified cat5 to about 400 feet. The runs I did passed all certification tests except the length of run.

FWIW, the newer analogue HD cameras are pretty good. I have four 960h cameras and five 1080p analogue HD cameras around my house and the HD ones are night and day better.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk