LB7: Rossler TH400 behind duramax

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Anybody have any info on this? I am going to call rossler tmrw, however i am bored and wanted to see if i could learn anything beforehand. I believe this is what bretts running in his truck. Thanks for any input guys

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
I run a 400 behind my LB7. Not a rossler but been tested regularly :). If you build it right they work, well. Rossler builds the baddest pro mod trannys on the planet......... Wish I could afford one.

What questions do you have?

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I run a 400 behind my LB7. Not a rossler but been tested regularly :). If you build it right they work, well. Rossler builds the baddest pro mod trannys on the planet......... Wish I could afford one.

What questions do you have?

Sweet! how does the 400 bolt up? what input shaft, bellhousing, standard flywheel?, starter, all that fun stuff

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Standard 90* chev bolt pattern. Bellhousing bolts up. Dmax starter/flywheel. I'm pretty certain u can get th400 converter with same pattern as Allison. 4l80e pattern same no?

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
You Can get the converter with the Allison flex plate bolt pattern. The Rossler/Chance converter are on my wish list. Brett is the man with the experience on with what will/won't work. I believe that the converter that finally ended up holding was much deeper than what normally will fit inside the bellhousing. A spacer was needed between the block and bellhousing

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
It's a standard Gm belhousing. All the factory dmax flex plate/starter
Work fine. The factory 400 stuff works too, input shaft and traditional 3 bolt converter. You would just use 3 bolts instead of the 6 holes on the flexplate.

The 6 bolt works better and typically is for a diesel. Ive ran multiple different ones through out the years. Currently it's an A1 PDQ converter, it's actually an ally converter with a 400 pump hub. Works great, never had an issue. I've broken the factory input shaft, forward drum, clutch hub, direct drum, 34 element sprag, intermediate shaft, sun gear and case.

All these hard parts have been upgraded. 300m input and forward drum from TCI. Billet forward clutch hub TCI. Pro mod direct drum with 36 element sprag from ck performance. Billet intermediate shaft and sun gear from ck. And a case modification from ck for the intermediate clutches, helps the case survive. Provides an extra lug/pressure point for the center support snap ring.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
It's a standard Gm belhousing. All the factory dmax flex plate/starter
Work fine. The factory 400 stuff works too, input shaft and traditional 3 bolt converter. You would just use 3 bolts instead of the 6 holes on the flexplate.

The 6 bolt works better and typically is for a diesel. Ive ran multiple different ones through out the years. Currently it's an A1 PDQ converter, it's actually an ally converter with a 400 pump hub. Works great, never had an issue. I've broken the factory input shaft, forward drum, clutch hub, direct drum, 34 element sprag, intermediate shaft, sun gear and case.

All these hard parts have been upgraded. 300m input and forward drum from TCI. Billet forward clutch hub TCI. Pro mod direct drum with 36 element sprag from ck performance. Billet intermediate shaft and sun gear from ck. And a case modification from ck for the intermediate clutches, helps the case survive. Provides an extra lug/pressure point for the center support snap ring.

Sweet lots of good info there. Thank you

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You Can get the converter with the Allison flex plate bolt pattern. The Rossler/Chance converter are on my wish list. Brett is the man with the experience on with what will/won't work. I believe that the converter that finally ended up holding was much deeper than what normally will fit inside the bellhousing. A spacer was needed between the block and bellhousing

All GM flywheel bolt patterns have been the same for over 60 years.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Sorry Muff, just saw you started a thread on this. Hopefully my PM's helped you out. Muff is going to have a 4x4 truck and I don't think this trans would be good in a 4x4 just because you would have to run 34" or taller tires with high ratio gears. Unless you backed the 400 with a GearVendors over drive. I run 33" slicks with a 2.91 gear and i'm going through the traps at almost 5000rpm @ 158mph. Soon to be more this year! LOL
Rossler makes the baddest th400 out there but your going to pay for it. Same goes for Neal Chance Racing Converters.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Sorry Muff, just saw you started a thread on this. Hopefully my PM's helped you out. Muff is going to have a 4x4 truck and I don't think this trans would be good in a 4x4 just because you would have to run 34" or taller tires with high ratio gears. Unless you backed the 400 with a GearVendors over drive. I run 33" slicks with a 2.91 gear and i'm going through the traps at almost 5000rpm @ 158mph. Soon to be more this year! LOL
Rossler makes the baddest th400 out there but your going to pay for it. Same goes for Neal Chance Racing Converters.

I called Carl Rossler today, super nice guy, told him that brett had directed me to him and he was all ears. He thinks his Terminator 4 (roughly 4 grand without a converter) would hold my goal of 700hp at the moment. Once we got to talking he also said that mph would be a problem like brett said. After i got to thinking about it i got the idea that maybe we could change the 3rd gear ratio in the trans to give me more mph? No idea if that is possible or not. More than likely ill just stick with the ally but i have time to brainstorm so ill keep pondering. I really want a manual valve body and a trans brake though, that would be alot of fun to drive!

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Why not a 4L80e? Overdrive, manual valve body and trans brake if you want it. Don't see anything in what you posted that would eliminate it plus you don't have the Allison weight.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Yup just check. Call for price. I'll give them a ring tmrw. Good idea Levi!

Sent you back a PM. I'd check with Chris at CK too. Nothing against Rossler, they build some really awesome stuff. Just a big fan of knowledgeable people not trying to sell you the kitchen sink when you don't need it.