Rolling Coal, P0087 Code, Odd Power Loss Situation, HELP!

DrummerMonroe

Aug 10, 2020
N. Little Rock, AR
I bought my first Duramax (2006 LLY) knowing it had a low fuel pressure issue. On the scan tool, the balance rates were within the +/-4 in park, but we were unable to boost pressure due to the DTCs coming back almost immediately after clearing them. This truck has 4: high voltage A/C circuit, glow module, the low fuel pressure, and one other I can't remember.

Starting with the least expensive and working my way up, I did the two-part Seafoam fuel system cleanout (one bottle in the tank and one bottle in a new fuel filter). This cleared a lot of the "rolling coal" at acceleration and even lessened an injector knock the truck had when I got it. It did not fix the loss of power after about 2500RPM, so I moved to replacing the injector pressure relief plug on the drivers-side fuel rail. I installed the racing plug. As most everyone knows, I had to remove the glow plug module/relay and the back plate to get to this plug.

After reinstalling the glow relay, I fired the truck up and it idled fine. To my surprise, when I left my driveway the truck had regained all the lost power! Stoked, I took the truck for a drive, and about 5 minutes later, the engine began to lose power after 2500RPM again. I checked the plug for leaks and there were none.

On a hunch, I unplugged the 31-pin connector to the glow relay, waited about a minute and hooked it back up. I drove the truck again and had all the power. 5 minutes later, the same thing happened, loss of power after 2500RPM.

During this whole process, the check engine lights stayed on (what I expected).

My question is:

Will unplugging the glow module/relay and plugging it back in trick the ECM into allowing acceleration briefly and then the truck goes back to power loss?

My next move is to replace that relay (since I already have a glow module code in the truck).

Does this sound like a bad pump, or is the relay somehow the culprit???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You say you have a P0087, but what other codes are coming up?

Treat your truck as an LBZ...it is one other than the oem tuning. Its not an 04-05 LLY.

DrummerMonroe

Aug 10, 2020
N. Little Rock, AR
You say you have a P0087, but what other codes are coming up?

Treat your truck as an LBZ...it is one other than the oem tuning. Its not an 04-05 LLY.

It has a glow plug module/relay code, low fuel pressure code, and a voltage issue in the air conditioner circuit code. I can't remember the numbers, but we can scan it again if needed. Also, the manufacture date of the truck is late 2005, but it's titled as a 2006 truck.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It has a glow plug module/relay code, low fuel pressure code, and a voltage issue in the air conditioner circuit code. I can't remember the numbers, but we can scan it again if needed. Also, the manufacture date of the truck is late 2005, but it's titled as a 2006 truck.

Is there a FICM on the passenger side front of the engine on top of the valve cover? If not, your truck is treated/diagnosed as an LBZ.

How many miles on the truck? Does the condition happen at any temperature or mainly when the truck has been ran for awhile?

DrummerMonroe

Aug 10, 2020
N. Little Rock, AR
Is there a FICM on the passenger side front of the engine on top of the valve cover? If not, your truck is treated/diagnosed as an LBZ.

How many miles on the truck? Does the condition happen at any temperature or mainly when the truck has been ran for awhile?
I'll have to check it when I get home (FICM location).
The truck has 307,000 miles and the condition happened 5 minutes after cold start. Even when the truck is at full operating temp, you can unplug the glow module, wait a minute, plug it in and all the power is back. Run it another 5 minutes and you cant' rev past 2000-2500 RPM.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
It's not your GPCM, the low fuel pressure is your issue. You don't have to unplug GPCM to reset your power, just turn off the truck for a minute and restart. You will have power again until the low fuel pressure code hits. I assume you already changed the fuel filter? You need a scan tool that can ramp up fuel pressure to test the pump. Check your soft lines in the fuel system to make sure you don't have a restriction . A lift pump can help a tired injection pump for a bit...

Reactions: Bdsankey