Reused head studs

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Jw how many time ppl use reuse head studs or any other of the arp fasteners? My head studs have been used probably 6-7 times. I haven't noticed problems thus far. But my buddy who's got a Cummins won't reuse them but maybe twice it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
Seems like the studs stay good but the nuts start wanting to pull threads. You can buy just the nuts from arp

LtEng5

Mar 24, 2013
CT
if you have long micrometers you can measure the length of the studs and get a hold of ARP to talk with them. they will tell you what an acceptable overall length is after several torquing events and normal use.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
if you have long micrometers you can measure the length of the studs and get a hold of ARP to talk with them. they will tell you what an acceptable overall length is after several torquing events and normal use.

Great idea. I think my largest mic is 6 inch I can't remember what the stud length is. I will look into that later, probably to short though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT

ARP will tell you you'd need to have had the length when they were new, after first torque, after second, etc.

I called them and asked this exact thing and they said as long as the threads aren't distorted and they aren't excessively rusty (the ones that sit outside the valve covers), they're good to keep reusing.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
I have those specs somewhere in my garage. I talked with an ARP rep a while back and they said as long as you do not over torque , dont have severe corrosion and measure them to make sure they are not stretched past their limit that they will last a long time.