Replacement TCM or ECM. How much programming is required?

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
My truck is a 2006. Was tuned ~2015 by prior owner using DSP-5. No records. No clue what tuning is on it. By all appearances, stock fuel, stock turbo. As far as I know the TCM is untouched.

TCM:
If I purchased a good TCM (to have a spare) from a similar/same 2006-2007 LBZ truck, is the TCM plug and play, or does it require the VIN to be programmed to match the BCM? If programming is required, is this something easy for a rookie to accomplish in the vehicle with EFILive? If not, is this a bench flash at a knowledgeable outfit?

ECM:
If I purchased a good ECM (to have a spare, or to experiment with tuning) from a similar/same 2006-2007 LBZ truck, is the ECM plug and play, or does it require the VIN to be programmed to match (or unlocked?) If programming is required, is this something easy for a rookie to accomplish in the vehicle with EFILive? If not, is this a bench flash at a knowledgeable outfit?

In short, if I had a pair of working junkyard TCM/ECMs, how much legwork is involved in making them useful? I'm already contemplating EFILive and FlashScan for other purposes going forward with the truck.

Last edited:

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
If I was considering this spare parts purchase, I might do the purchase now but wait until they're needed before doing any programming to mate them to the truck.

Reactions: 2004LB7

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yes the VIN will need to be changed to match the truck. Fairly easy with EFI, or maybe see what your dealer can do for you

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As mentioned, changing the vin is easy with EfiLive. Use the scan tool for best results without having to purchase a license to do it.

As Ron said. Pick up the spare but do don't install or change anything until you need them. You will need to have the Vin in both the TCM and the ECM changed.

One thing to consider is if the modules don't come from the exact same model with the same configuration, IE: same OS installed then you will have to get that programmed in too. There is some overlap in what OS's will work or are compatible but best to use what is already in your truck so make sure everything plays nice. Either a license from EfiLive or the dealership can do it