Regearing ?s

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
For those that have regeared. Do you typically get the master install kit or the mini install kit? My truck only has 108k on it and there is nothing wrong with the current gears. The master kit is pretty spendy since it includes new bearings. The mini install kit does not include the bearings and is considerably cheaper. I don’t see the need to spend the extra money since my current bearing are in good shape. I have a press and bearing separator so I should be able to remove the old bearing without damaging. I guess if its common practice to get the master kit that’s what I’ll do. I’m just struggling to spend the extra $$$ on bearings since mine are fine.

I’ve found some pretty good write ups on the rear axle but haven’t found much info on the front axle. Can anyone pint me to a good write up / DIY for the front 9.25??

FYI going from the factory 3:73 to Yukon 4:10. Like to get a little low end back.

Thanks!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I went with the master kit, I too re-geared with Yukon 4.10's.

I have been told that the new gears wear in with the bearings, and adding new gears to old bearings is not ideal, I don't know how true this is, but I figure why chance it, and why not just have the satisfaction of having a like new, completely rebuilt axel, after all, you practically have to completely gut the axel to replace the gears anyways, why not go the extra yard?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
For those that have regeared. Do you typically get the master install kit or the mini install kit? My truck only has 108k on it and there is nothing wrong with the current gears. The master kit is pretty spendy since it includes new bearings. The mini install kit does not include the bearings and is considerably cheaper. I don’t see the need to spend the extra money since my current bearing are in good shape. I have a press and bearing separator so I should be able to remove the old bearing without damaging. I guess if its common practice to get the master kit that’s what I’ll do. I’m just struggling to spend the extra $$$ on bearings since mine are fine.

I’ve found some pretty good write ups on the rear axle but haven’t found much info on the front axle. Can anyone pint me to a good write up / DIY for the front 9.25??

FYI going from the factory 3:73 to Yukon 4:10. Like to get a little low end back.

Thanks!

you dont know how your bearings look so to say they are fine is false. you dont know if there is pitting starting, nasty heat build up/discoloration, and worse, if any rippling affect has started in the races. its good practice to buy all new bearings with your gears. if you want to pull it all apart and thoroughly check the bearings to be sure they are good to go before buying the kit, that would be the best way. i know of guys as well as myself that have reused old bearings with new gears BUT the bearings looked like new, had way less miles, and they were on rigs that were not used quite as much as one of our trucks.

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
The gears are used and not new…Less than 10,000 miles. Not sure if this will have any negative effects or not?

I changed diff fluid at the beginning of the year and all looked good. So I am making the assumption that the bearings are good. Either way I’d prefer to do it right and do it once. So I’ll probably just order new bearings.

Thanks!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Either way I’d prefer to do it right and do it once. So I’ll probably just order new bearings.

Thanks!

that would be your best bet. used gears are ok as long as they never "sang" to the original owner. if they made any noise while he had it, its very doubtful you will be able to get them to be quite even with the most perfect setup

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
For the record

I had one of the "premier" :rolleyes: shops in my area set up my front and rear end, I used Yukon master sets and Yukon gears with red line fluid with the LSD additive, I added a Detroit trutrac as well, and my gears sing a "little" song between 41-48mph, man I hate that shit on a 45mph road, boy it gets old fast, other than that, the gears did help in every way, except top speed, now I'm limited to only 161mph:roflmao:

I say this only to forwarn, be prepared for the possibility of gear noise....

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
Time will tell if they will sing or not?!?

I am still on the fence wether to do it myself or take it to a shop. I am confident in doing the rear axle not so confindent on the front as I have been undable to find much info on it. I live in the midwest so I use the 4-wheel drive alot during winter and at highway speeds so I need the front to be correct. It will be a little while before it gets done. Still gathering parts.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
have you ever setup a diff before? do you know what to look for? do you have a dial indicatior?

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
I've never done a diff before. I've got a dial indicator, dial torque wrench, 12 ton press and plenty of other tools needed. The pinion needs to be set to the correct depth, the backlash needs to be set correctly, Bearing preload for the pinion and diff need to be set correctly. Gear contact needs to be setup correctly. Not sure I can get it done in a weekend since it’s my first one. Seems I always run into a snag. Truck is my daily driver so that is why I am debating on getting it done somewhere.