Red diesel Y or N?

Duramaxdulls

Jun 23, 2013
Just bought 2012 duramax all stock and my question is can I run red diesel in her? I'm a pipeliner and I carry around a transfer tank filled with it for my equipment I filled my old 2005 D-max with it and she ran like a champ but I've had people tell me I can't run it in my new 2012 and some say I can.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Not with the emission control system intact, as far as I know the higher sulphur content in the standard #2 fuel will plug up the dpf and cause an almost continuous regen, this goes for green #2 as well, not just dyed #2 as the only difference between the two is the dye itself, placed there for tax tracking purposes. I could be wrong, as I have not tried myself, I am just going off what I have read and know about modern diesel emission equipment and ulsd fuel that the systems were built around

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
In Texas the red diesel is identical to the pump green/clear. It actually all gets to the distributors as clear.

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
Iv been told on/off road diesel is all ULSD. Only difference is the off road fuel is dyed red.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Coco you need to talk to more performance shops about fuel, because since Jan 1 of 2006 is when LSD started getting phased out, and you should still get bulk storage LSD until jan 1, 2008 or 2009, then it was all the same. ;)

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
why are all these red fuel threads coming up all of a sudden :confused:

according to a buddy of mine that works for Shell red fuel is #2 died red and there is no other ingredients in it at all. the only difference is the tax. now he also said that some parts of Canada and Alaska do have other stuff in there but most of it has to do with anti-gelling and not so much with sulfur content.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
why are all these red fuel threads coming up all of a sudden :confused:

according to a buddy of mine that works for Shell red fuel is #2 died red and there is no other ingredients in it at all. the only difference is the tax. now he also said that some parts of Canada and Alaska do have other stuff in there but most of it has to do with anti-gelling and not so much with sulfur content.

they red die is tax exempt... anywhere form 20-50 cents cheaper then OTR fuel

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Its all the same fuel anyways, so I wouldn't hesitate to run it if your only staying offroad.

In Texas the red diesel is identical to the pump green/clear. It actually all gets to the distributors as clear.

Iv been told on/off road diesel is all ULSD. Only difference is the off road fuel is dyed red.

Yes it is. There is no difference what so ever. Its all the same now.

This. Only reason it's dyed because it's not taxed.

Sent from the drivers seat of an 06 dmax

Yes it is the same coco puff been the same for years now

Our red dye tank In the yard has the same ulsd sticker as the clear..

Coco you need to talk to more performance shops about fuel, because since Jan 1 of 2006 is when LSD started getting phased out, and you should still get bulk storage LSD until jan 1, 2008 or 2009, then it was all the same. ;)

just like everyone said, red and green are the same fuel just different colors is all

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

Oops, sorry, there was a time it used to be different, I used to be a diesel delivery driver, until feb of 05, so I guess I am a little out of touch..:eek:

Still have the class A, double and triple, tank, hazmat and motorcycle endorsements on my license though :D

Thanks for settin me straight....again:roflmao:
:joker:

swinters

Journeyman Mechanic
Oct 3, 2011
Western WA State
About a year ago our fuel supplier told us that federal law required the same ULSD specs. on both highway and off-road (red dyed) diesel. He said that due to lubricity issues there was a potential of seeing pump and injector issues on our off-road stuff that might be borderline. According to him the only difference now is whether or not you paid highway tax at the pump. He told one of the guys who has a farm to check with his tax advisor since they understood that trucks licensed as farm trucks could use highways but were exempt from paying highway taxes much of the time, though I never checked into that myself.