Rebuildable Shocks

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So I thought I had a hook-up on some Fox 2.0 rebuildable shocks but after looking into it further I came up empty.

Does anyone know where or from who I can buy fully rebuildable gas shocks for my truck? Front and rear. I need them to fit a 6" lift.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
In the newest 8 Lug there is an ad for Night Hawk Shocks. Their ad says fully rebuildable and tunable. Fox's website lists your application, but they don't say if they're rebuildable or not.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
King, sway-a-way, fox (the 2.0 are fully rebuildable), FOA, the bilstein 9100, rad flow, and walker evans to name a few off the top of my head. Now bolt in app slims it way down lol. King and fox are the only ones i know who have a bolt in app that is fully rebuildable

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
King, sway-a-way, fox (the 2.0 are fully rebuildable), FOA, the bilstein 9100, rad flow, and walker evans to name a few off the top of my head. Now bolt in app slims it way down lol. King and fox are the only ones i know who have a bolt in app that is fully rebuildable

Thanks! I am looking for a bolt in. Even if I have to buy the adapters from ProComp or somebody to convert from a rod to eyebolt for the upper front mount I would be willing to do that.

I'm looking into Night Hawk's right now and will also check with King. My biggest problem right now is finding a Canadian dealer or someone who will ship to Canada and still honor warranty!

Thanks guys. If I find anything I will post it up!

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
jsut FYI for you bein in the cold north, you may talk to who ever you get your shocks from about the extreme cold. the fluid likes warmer climates and in the really cold, they tend to make the shock noisy ( you hear the shims clicking/knocking till they warm up). i know fox has a different fluid for the colder climates as Norcal Nick had a big run in with that issue a couple years back.

if you buy the little conversion deal to convert the upper mount to an eye, you have a little more leeway to cheaper shocks from the same company or other brands or even used. on my lift im gunna be running a 10" stroke 2.5" resi shock in the front using a conversion to eye style mount. i can find them used for 300-500 bucks for two

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thanks James. I worked with a guy that had the 2.0 Fox on his old Powerchoke. He says he just runs dirt bike fork oil and had no issues.

My biggest thing is I need to find shocks with a remote resevoir. I'm hoping to get a little extra cooling that way. They make some with heat sinks on them but the problem is some of them fit a little tight or not at all in the front due to the girth!!

Your running a 10" stroke. How did you come up with the measurement? Did you just measure collapsed and extended on the shock that come with the 8" lift? Reason I ask is that my lift is a 4-6" but calling it a true 6" isn't exactly accurate. It's more like a 5"

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks James. I worked with a guy that had the 2.0 Fox on his old Powerchoke. He says he just runs dirt bike fork oil and had no issues.

My biggest thing is I need to find shocks with a remote resevoir. I'm hoping to get a little extra cooling that way. They make some with heat sinks on them but the problem is some of them fit a little tight or not at all in the front due to the girth!!

Your running a 10" stroke. How did you come up with the measurement? Did you just measure collapsed and extended on the shock that come with the 8" lift? Reason I ask is that my lift is a 4-6" but calling it a true 6" isn't exactly accurate. It's more like a 5"

yeah i have to do a bit of massaging to my bumpstop brackets to make it work for that big of a shock body. the heat sink isnt all that great anyhow, resi's will work better for cooling, not to mention dampening. what will you be doing that is gunna cause that kind of shock fade?

i measured with my suspension fully collaped, from the frame mount to the LCA mounting point, then with the front fully dropped out from the frame mount to the LCA mount. the extended and collapsed put me closest to a 10" stroke shock. you will be between a 8" or 10" stroke, im just not a 100% because all lifts will give you different numbers. i wont use all of that stroke but the extended lenght is what will work for where i want to mount it.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My truck weighs 8000lbs and even more when I'm hauling sleds on the deck. And I run alot of really rough roads up here at high rates of speed!:D Lots of gravel with washboard, potholes, etc. Rancho 5's lasted 3 months. And for ~$250 for just the fronts I want better!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'd like to get a set of coilover's actually but I don't think that anyone makes any that would support the weight. I'm gonna look into that as well.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'd like to get a set of coilover's actually but I don't think that anyone makes any that would support the weight. I'm gonna look into that as well.

not worth it honestly. within the year ill be designing a coilover system for my truck but i dont gain much other than easily changable spring rates, a little lighter package, and the possiblitly to add long travel on easily. Im doing it for the "cool factor" really and my buddy has been bugging the living hell out of me to make something for his truck. 95% of of how your truck does is delt with in the shocks. the spring rate our trucks run is actually really well matched for what you want to do and so on. if you were gunna go out and catch 3-5ft of air, it would need to be changed but those roads would then cause you to get jarr'd to hell with that kind of setup.

that 2.0 with a resi will be perfect for what you want. i would suggest changing the shock oil every 6-12 months though and keep an eye on your shock shaft for any nicks or damage (it will kill your shock seals quickly), specially if the salt starts to pit the shaft anywhere.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Biggest reason I would like to go with coil overs is to lose the low hanging torsion bars and also to lose the weight! Those bastards are heavy!! And being able to adjust spring rate would be awesome to try and combat, with good shocks to assist, the donkey that my truck does over big bumps on the highway!