Rear end making clicking noise

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Last week my lly started to make a clicking noise in the rear. When i go around corners or slip a tire it clicks for a while until it unlocks. from what i understand, it has something to do with the limited split trying to lock in. What could be my problem here? i don't want to completely explode a rear end and drop 800 on a new one when i could drop a new ring gear or something in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
So swap the oil and thats it? Is there anything inside that is minor that could have gone wrong?

gmpat21

Oct 6, 2013
rear diff

i had an 05 lly. It did the same exact thing. GT4 3.73 gear and G80 for the gov lock. The gov lock gernaded in mine i ended up putting a whole new carrier in it and bearings. i highly doubt a fluid change will solve anything!

gmpat21

Oct 6, 2013
rear end

One other thing i have seen on rare occasions is the axle bolts loose. you may just want to take a quick check. ive had two trucks that the axle bolts worked themselves loose and caused problems.

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
If you are going to drain the fluid, might as well pull the cover off and look around
I suggest this too never had any issues with my dmax but my 05 gasser did this all the time after the re gear an everything inside was fine never figured it out an it did it for 20k miles

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
How expensive are the parts on the inside? And would you think it's alright to keep driving it?

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
One other thing i have seen on rare occasions is the axle bolts loose. you may just want to take a quick check. ive had two trucks that the axle bolts worked themselves loose and caused problems.
That's something to check, though you would probably see an oil leak associated with a loose axle.
I put my money on the G80 coming apart. Pretty common. Find a used dodge carrier and throw that in before yours completely fails and you'll need R&P and bearings on top of a carrier and a case of brake clean.

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
Whats different about the dodge vs gm rear end? And would a regular junk yard have them or is it an order online deal? Thanks for the input!

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Does the dodge use a gov lock also?

No. The gov locks are garbage IMO. The dodge piece is similar to a Detroit locker. Lot of "stock class" pullers around here use them or even the hot street trucks. Most all 2500 and 3500 cummins have them but have vin number of doner truck checked because I THINK it was an option...

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
I almost think my truck has a dodge unit in it. Every burnout is two tires, but sliding it around a corner in the ran it acts like a limited slip.

That's usually what we see happening right before the gov lock fails lol:D
It's easy to tell the difference if you ever have the cover off.

Mar 13, 2012
Bham, AL
This happened to my 06 3/4 ton just before 100,000 miles and 3 weeks out of warranty. I let it go till the locker was locked all of the time. When the clicking first started had I pulled the cover and saw the ring gear had a tooth or two missing I could have replaced it and been fine. It ended up I let it go and it knocked enough chunks of metal out it ruined the locker. Might want to pull the cover and just look if there's any metal In the bottom.