Random Stalling

kws808

Diesel Freak
Aug 16, 2006
Big Island,Hawaii
I am having trouble with my truck just randomly stalling.It happened about a month ago and then went away until today. It happened twice today i was driving along and all of a sudden the truck just dies and i get a service brake system message on the DIC. I pulled over to the side of the road and cycled the ignition twice and it started right back up.What do you guys think ? It did not set any codes..

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
The only thing I can think of that was told to me is it could be a bad ground. I have the same problem all the time. Happened before I put all my go fast goodies on so I know its not that stuff. Bad grounds seem to be a big problem for these trucks. I just don't have an idiots guide to find them. Pictures would be good if anyone has them.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The only thing I can think of that was told to me is it could be a bad ground. I have the same problem all the time. Happened before I put all my go fast goodies on so I know its not that stuff. Bad grounds seem to be a big problem for these trucks. I just don't have an idiots guide to find them. Pictures would be good if anyone has them.

On the driverside below and behind the power steering pump is a ground that goes to the frame, There is also one on the driver side attached to the rear of the cyl head it is beheind and under neath the glow plug controle module and attaches to the body ( it is the silver flat ground strap).

Also it does that same thing when we flash a tune maybe something with the ECM or the FICM?

I dunno it is possible all the nice salt air is getting to the truck:(

Good luck Kioni

kws808

Diesel Freak
Aug 16, 2006
Big Island,Hawaii
Well i checked all the grounds and they all seem to be ok. I had it happen again this morning and i couldent get it to start for about ten minutes.That was quite an a experience i was pulling our 30' gooseneck when it died in traffic...I also got a U1016 code and when i clear it,it comes right back. So what do you guys think ?

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I am having this issue as we speak, im scared to drive the truck because it stalls randomly and is not fun wrestling to a stop in a safe place with no power steering or brake assist.

Maybe you guys could shed some light on the situation?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
shuts down like you turned the key off, or sputters and dies...? Check all of your main electrical connections...the ABS system tends to be the first thing to throw a fit when there is low system voltage...

give us as much info as possible...noises, shudders, anything you can think of.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Like the key shuts off, the motor dies and gauges go to 0. The only things that work would be the AC, Radio and the dic and dash are illluminated with ABS, parking brake, and service brake system lights.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
you have a short somewhere. whether its a bad/dead battery or external. i welded a + batt cable to the exhaust (it melted through the shielding and shorted and welded to the exhaust) BAD BAD BAD stuff happens. i was lucky that my truck did not have all the modules fried.

almost identical symptoms to mine.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I have two batteries, i found some mouse poo in the fuse box, Its looking like a wild goose chase or a needle in the haystack kinda deal.

Maybe I need a whole new fuse box?

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
I have two batteries, i found some mouse poo in the fuse box, Its looking like a wild goose chase or a needle in the haystack kinda deal.

Maybe I need a whole new fuse box?

Man that sucks, spend all that money on your truck to have rodents basically destroy it:(.Between squirrels and mice you people in the states sure have it rough.:)

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
This is very odd. I currently have 2 truck that do the exact same thing, One LBZ and one LB7. Exact same problems. I've checked wiring, Jumped all power and grounds directly to the battery, along with Key switch voltage. and still nothing. I've swapped Ecm's and athe FICM on the LB7 with test controllers and still nothing. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Two questions for everyone with this problem and it's a long shot. Have you had your motor out lately, and what it is tuned with, and if tuned with EFIlive, what version?

Just trying to see if there is a common denomintor. (sp?)

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
my truck had nothing but an efi tune. never removed at that point. but it was a batt cable shorted to the exhaust. when i had a batt on the frame with my twins on.

check all battery cables and switch out to two known good batteries and see if that helps

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Batteries have been changed on one of the trucks, and all battery cables have been checked for shorts/grounds/chaffing/good connections/voltage drop/etc.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
damn that sucks :( ummmm.... if you have access to donor trucks to swap parts i would try swapping fuse blocks. i have had troubles with my fuse block just nothing to that extent (horn relay was intermittant)

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
damn that sucks :( ummmm.... if you have access to donor trucks to swap parts i would try swapping fuse blocks. i have had troubles with my fuse block just nothing to that extent (horn relay was intermittant)

All 12vdc inputs to the ECM have been jumped straight from the battery to the ecm with the same results. Also all ECM grounds have been jumped straight to the battery. Also jumped power a grounds to the FICM. I've put a scope on the engine speed input wire to the FICM to see if maybe it was loosing signal and nothing.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
swapped ecms yet?

nothing as in no signal or nothing as in no problem seen?

Last edited: