Quiet engine/drive thru tuning

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So I just installed a TS chip in a 7.3, and one of the selections was a "whisper" mode. Basically it dropped the idle and commanded the lowest ICP percentage it could to keep the engine running. Obviously it's still a 7.3 so I wouldn't qualify it as "quiet" but it did drop a few decibels. Was curious if anyone else has built a tune like this to quiet the engine down. So far I've dropped fuel pressure and retarded timing slightly a bit and have had good results. Looking to see if there are any other adjustments, say with pilot, etc, that would help even more. I'm wanting to have this on one of my DSP selections, so that leaves only a few tables to modify unfortunately.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I've got a 7.3 and an LBZ. Can't even hear the duramax running after the 7.3 started up. I didn't think it was possible to make a 7.3 quiet :D

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I had Rob build a set of tunes that I requested be as quiet as possible for an lb7. They were ridiculously quiet, all you could hear was turbo whistle. Customer was thrilled, no idea how he did it, Rob is a magician with the lb7...

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I've got a 7.3 and an LBZ. Can't even hear the duramax running after the 7.3 started up. I didn't think it was possible to make a 7.3 quiet :D

Hahaha that is kind of what I was thinking. It anything needs quieting down it is a Power Stroke:rofl:

christopherglenn

Aug 26, 2012
I have had some luck setting the pre injection for 2 mm3, bottom out the fuel pressure, and time main injection at -3 or more, with pre injection at about 0. time it to late, and the main injection climbs, which just makes things louder. Neutral is much quieter then in gear.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I played with it before, but got tired of the hazing at idle. Made it stink, and puff some slight white smoke whenever the engine wasn't fully warmed up.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Is this the first world problems thread.... I can't shut my truck off it takes too long to start again I WANT MY FOOD NOW :roflmao: :roflmao:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dont know if pilot will do much down there. adding 2 degrees in a couple of my high timing areas helped get rid of my timing rattle i had in my cruise areas though.

fuel, actual timing, and idle would probably have the most affect.

best one i had was sitting in the Mc Ds drive through and i shut my samurai off (open header) and an old 7.3 was behind me. the lady on the mic goes "sir can you please shut your truck off". i yell back "mine is, its the guy behind me". then the "what? i cant hear you" started so i just drove to the window. i did a free coke cause she felt bad for yellin at me to shut my samurai off and it already was :roflmao: