LMM: Questions on motor removal

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Gonna start this thread as a reference for others who are pulling their motor and come upon a roadblock. Here... Ill start :D

LMM: Does a fender have to come off to remove the core support?

How do you get the fan off the front of the motor?

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca
not 100% sure, but i think i remember reading in slowlmms thread that they pulled the fender. then both just to make things easier

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
I really see no other way around it.... each fender has a flange on it so it cant come forward, and cant go up due to the fender overhand. OK Pass fender comin off!

Pass side:
DSC06344.jpg

Driver side:
DSC06345.jpg

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I can have input here... Finally i can contribute some meaningful crap.

LEave the fenders on, IMO, follow the top of the fender back up to the firwall 2 bolts lossen them and it will allow the core to slip out.

IMO- the easaiste all around way to jerk the motor and work on the trans is to simply jack the hole truck up on a lift and let it roll.

Use a dull chisel and a glancing blow to break the fan loose, IIRC it has ass backwards threads.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
If you don't have enough room by spreading the fenders to get the core out... remove the bolts attaching it to frame rails and push the bottom towards to motor and pull the top towards you (front bumper).

When you loosen the fenders (NOT TO MUCH) they'll pinch the paint at the bottom of the door. If you pull the drives fender you gotta deal with ALL the harness/power/lines/TCM/ECM potential ghost in the machine/connection type stuff. IMO.

Watch out for the little plastic retainers and hard lines into the windshield washer tank they are brittle usually.
The little "t" shaped clips at the injector returns are brittle as well and GM won't sell you just one... 4 T's and the lines are over $60.
Shoot a 36" + extension through and past the starter to get the flex bolts, get on your knees with a flashlight you'll see a straight shot portal.

Last edited:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
LOL James dont kid yourself.... I consider you one of the greats of this site with your knowledge! Just cant wait until your truck is out at the strip!! :hug:

Thanks for the tip on the fender.... well see if that works.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
LOL James dont kid yourself.... I consider you one of the greats of this site with your knowledge! Just cant wait until your truck is out at the strip!! :hug:

Thanks for the tip on the fender.... well see if that works.

Thanks Dude, means alot to help out fellow SALAD.

When you go hunting for a way to get the bellhousing bolts out..... get 2 LONG extensions and shoot over the top of the transfer case with a flashlight. knuckles will love you for it. Bend the trans/t case rubber vent hose clamp over to the left a little for the top bolt. Deep well knuckle....

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
you will need to lift the cab up as well in order to get her out without barking things up. I used a floor jack and a 4x4. Unbolted all body bolts and lifted from the passenger side just behind the front wheel. In doing this you will also free up a ton of room for the bellhousing bolts.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
you will need to lift the cab up as well in order to get her out without barking things up. I used a floor jack and a 4x4. Unbolted all body bolts and lifted from the passenger side just behind the front wheel. In doing this you will also free up a ton of room for the bellhousing bolts.

i removed my motor with everything bolted in and in place. makes it easier to pull out the core support. this time around i left the core support in and it came out just had to watch everything.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
i removed my motor with everything bolted in and in place. makes it easier to pull out the core support. this time around i left the core support in and it came out just had to watch everything.

NBS has the engine sunk under the firewall making it a lot more snug. Can't lift the engine high enough to clear the lower pan, you hit the firewall.