Problems with 4wd

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
It's an 03 lb7 the service light is on and the selector is not lighting up just on the turn of the key, I checked the encoder motor it self with a battery and that works fine, my question is there anyway I can test the sensor in the encoder motor, also I have the actuator off the front diff and wondering is there anyway to test that?

Thanks

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Do not energize the front actuator. It does not a limiter for travel and will ruin it. You can hear and feel it work on the vehicle if it is working. It sounds more like the switch inside.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
Ok but if you have the service light on will it still send power to it? I took a meter to the encoder motor and was not getting power, maybe a ground problem?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You can test power to the actuator at the plug that connects to it. There should be three or four wires. One should be jot with key on and one should energize when switch inside activated to turn 4x4 on.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
I checked for power there with a meter and had nothing, checked fuses an they were fine. Where else is there a ground besides on the outside frame rail on the body mount?
You can test power to the actuator at the plug that connects to it. There should be three or four wires. One should be jot with key on and one should energize when switch inside activated to turn 4x4 on.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Check fuse in cab very good. It may look good and be blown in corner. Check wires going over axle at differential and oil pan to see if damaged. If good change switch If switch doesn't cycle lights on start up

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
I will check again, switch is good I know that.

Check fuse in cab very good. It may look good and be blown in corner. Check wires going over axle at differential and oil pan to see if damaged. If good change switch If switch doesn't cycle lights on start up

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
The actuator will not engage nor show any power in a multimeter until the transfer case is engaged first. There is a sensor on top of the transfer case, either it went bad or a poor connection somewhere. The selector should light up at all times, if it doesn't, it may be bad.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
I tested for power on the encoder motor on the transfer case and had nothing, the selector lights up just when you cycle the key that's it, and it's a brand new switch. I used efi live and the laptop and got the code c0400 something about transfer case calibration something I can not remember now. The transfer case was out of the truck for a month or so due to replacing a tail housing on the trans, I'm wondering if the tccm needs programmed?

The actuator will not engage nor show any power in a multimeter until the transfer case is engaged first. There is a sensor on top of the transfer case, either it went bad or a poor connection somewhere. The selector should light up at all times, if it doesn't, it may be bad.