Possible Triples Setup, will it work?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I've wanted to build a set of triples for a while now, I don't have a built engine, so I'm trying to convince one of my buddies to give me his truck and his checkbook, lol...

On a stock bottom end and stock turbo with manifolds and up pipes, we were contemplating using (2) HY35's or HX35's, the turbos are "a dime a dozen" plus I have one of each take-offs already... I believe the turbos can support 400-450 hp each, and I would think spool up would be phenominal and support 650 rwhp pretty easy

Also, could I externally wastegate a stock vgt and turn (2) s300's as the atmosphere turbo's, or is that too much air to shove through a 63.5mm stock lly compressor?

Any thoughts???

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've wanted to build a set of triples for a while now, I don't have a built engine, so I'm trying to convince one of my buddies to give me his truck and his checkbook, lol...

On a stock bottom end and stock turbo with manifolds and up pipes, we were contemplating using (2) HY35's or HX35's, the turbos are "a dime a dozen" plus I have one of each take-offs already... I believe the turbos can support 400-450 hp each, and I would think spool up would be phenominal and support 650 rwhp pretty easy

Also, could I externally wastegate a stock vgt and turn (2) s300's as the atmosphere turbo's, or is that too much air to shove through a 63.5mm stock lly compressor?

Any thoughts???

IIRC two 366s have been done over a stock turbo with good success. i have no info on your earlier question

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
As above.
I think Trent @ EPR was doing stocker/66 setups a lot without adding a gate.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I would go smaller than s366's there is no need to go that big with a stock turbo and stock bottom end. I went smaller than s366's and the truck still has more than I need and spools awesome.

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hy35s have pretty tight turbine housings, BUT they would probably flow enough air for 600hp in a triple setup since they are gated. The compressor wheels are only 57-58mm so it wouldn't leave much room to grow if the motor was ever built.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I dont know much, but Dont those hy/hx 35's seem kinda big to triple into a stock charger?

Just food for thought.....Mark Broviak is running two s366's into his vgt72 and getting close to 1200whp

Just an idea, I think you might wanna try and sell the two turbos you are thinking to use in a trip set up, and get one bigger one and running twins for now, something like a billet s475-80, and batmo the stocker. Go from there:dontknow: I like the idea of triples, don't get me wrong:hug:

I am hoping mark duplicates the triple set up he is currently running, and he starts selling it as a kit:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:Charger::Charger::Charger:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
A friends truck has 2 s360's that feed into an s366. Made 1080 hp, daily drives 650 ish. It's Trent's kit, so I would do 60mm or smaller atmospheric turbos if your using a stock turbo. It's a epr kit, gated. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380140883.072044.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380140883.072044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380140883.072044.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 284

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I dont know much, but Dont those hy/hx 35's seem kinda big to triple into a stock charger?

Just food for thought.....Mark Broviak is running two s366's into his vgt72 and getting close to 1200whp

Just an idea, I think you might wanna try and sell the two turbos you are thinking to use in a trip set up, and get one bigger one and running twins for now, something like a billet s475-80, and batmo the stocker. Go from there:dontknow: I like the idea of triples, don't get me wrong:hug:

I am hoping mark duplicates the triple set up he is currently running, and he starts selling it as a kit:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:Charger::Charger::Charger:

I have just the s366 on now, I have all my piping and the s480 I could bolt on and run... I just like the idea of triples for show and "bragging rights" I guess, no one around here has them and I'm starting to do a lot more "side" work and getting a lot more customers. It would make a good conversation piece and word of mouth advertisement.

Just thinking out loud I guess, but I also have a s475 and a s482 cast wheel turbo sitting on the shelf, and also a gt45 that has a 83mm comp clipped to 76mm protrusion... But "everyone has twins" lol, or similar setups.

I agree with s256's, but s363's or s366's are similar money, so might as well go bigger!

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I have just the s366 on now, I have all my piping and the s480 I could bolt on and run... I just like the idea of triples for show and "bragging rights" I guess, no one around here has them and I'm starting to do a lot more "side" work and getting a lot more customers. It would make a good conversation piece and word of mouth advertisement.

Just thinking out loud I guess, but I also have a s475 and a s482 cast wheel turbo sitting on the shelf, and also a gt45 that has a 83mm comp clipped to 76mm protrusion... But "everyone has twins" lol, or similar setups.

I agree with s256's, but s363's or s366's are similar money, so might as well go bigger!

Damn dood, you got about as many turbos as I have dollars in my pocket:baby:

I like the way you think though:D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Trent was doing I believe s256 turbos over stock

jsut before he went MIA, he was doing some cool stuff with twin 366s. im like 80% sure Kris (duramaxhd) has twin 366s over his stocker with a batmowheel. ill have to see if i can find the thread but it did Kris motor in lol :D

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
jsut before he went MIA, he was doing some cool stuff with twin 366s. im like 80% sure Kris (duramaxhd) has twin 366s over his stocker with a batmowheel. ill have to see if i can find the thread but it did Kris motor in lol :D

Maybe his was different but I'm almost sure his are s360's like a kit I put on a LBZ. I went with s360's also after talking with Trent about the 1000+HP potential of them with the right high pressure charger. OI couldn't be happier with how well the truck drives. How well the triple kits perform is all about what you do on hot side.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Maybe his was different but I'm almost sure his are s360's like a kit I put on a LBZ. I went with s360's also after talking with Trent about the 1000+HP potential of them with the right high pressure charger. OI couldn't be happier with how well the truck drives. How well the triple kits perform is all about what you do on hot side.

you may be right. my memory has sucked lately and i swore trent and i were talking about 366s for kris at the phoenix NHRDA but there was alot of things we discussed that day lol, mainly how to get Matts truck rigged up to tow his "tow rig" back

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Thankfully Trent was nice enough to give me great info to help with my hot pipe design. I thought he had dropped off the face of the earth but lucky for me he didn't.