Possible HG or Inj, Cup??

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
alright im kinda gettin mad about my truck,

1) every once in awhile the low coolant light will come on and its been on for awhile now but i just said heck w/ it and havent added any, i think when i bought the truck the owner had the system full of water not anti-freeze, but i've gone through 2 full resovors of coolant (well 1 of coolant 1 of water b/c the first time it popped on i freaked haha and water was all i had) and when i take my resevor cap off the tank will start fillin up fast haha!!!!!!

2) my truck smokes bad at an idle, i know i need new injectors unless its b/c the cup isnt seated right so its messin it up that way,

3) after i shut my truck off, alittle smoke still rolls out of my stack, for pri 30+seconds....

idk im kinda lost, i dont see how it could be a HG when the temp never gets over 180-190*, and i dont have the resovor full right now its empty and still it doesnt get hot, so i dont know any suggestions would help out!!!!!

Last edited:

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
yeah im gonna see if my top hose is still full today when i go to start it,

i guess this weekend ill have to run it up to temp then open it, only problem is i cant b/c it bubbles out so fast when i open the cap.....:mad:

bleeder screw???? didnt know there was one

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
hows your balance rates on the injectors? The 01s are more known to blow headgaskets than the other models so it's possible to be that as well. Could even be both, injectors and headgaskets. Just throwing some things out there. Hopefully it's neither. :thumb:

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
idk i havent had them checked yet, i dont want to pay gm to test them, i think i could have watched them w/ my quad stealth 2 but i was too nervous to turn my truck on while the chip was plugged in even when it was on diagnostic haha.....

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
went out before i started it and check and sure enought, the upper hose was pretty stiff still, so im goin w/ head gasket, my injectors are pri bad too but now i know its a head gasket, looks like i ll just sell it for what i owe and get somethin i want, :mad:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
just because your upper hose is hard that doesnt mean your head gaskets are bad it just means you are getting pressure into the cooling system. now it is very difficult to figure out weather its head gaskets or inj. cups. when my cups went my valve cover gaskets were leaking so that may be something you want to check.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
If it's leaking very bad, you could pull the glow plugs and pressurize the cooling system and narrow it down to which cylinder it is then pull that injector and use a borescope to maybe tell where it's coming from. I've only been able to tell once or twice this way. Or, just pull and reseal the sleeve on that cylinder, fill back up with coolant then see if the leakings stopped. Again though,, this will only work if it's a bad enough leak to leak under the small amount of pressure you can put on the cooling system.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
do like i did and pull the glow plugs and see what you find . i only had one g/p wet then pulled that injector cup stayed and i installed new copper washer and its ben great so far . may be an easier fix than you think . good luck either way

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
yeah im gonna start easy like pull off the valve covor and glow plugs, then the injectors and if nothin pops up then its on to takin the heads off....:mad:

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Just to throw something else out there. I had a water pump go bad that did most of the things you are describing, aside from the smoking part anyway. Didn't leak while sitting and idling or after parked over time. I drove it for several months before it finally started to leak at an idle out of the weep hole. Never got hot, started by using a half gal every other week or so and slowly started to go up till it got to the light coming on about every other day. The tank wasn't black, the top hose got hard as a rock and if you were brave enough to pull the cap off when it was warm you got a nice hot shower along with anyone standing around you as it blew coolant out like it was 300* . It would hold pressure in the tank overnight even.
Just something to keep in mind before you go throwing a bunch of money at it. :)

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
hmmmmmmm i guess i've never heard of a water pump doin that, im gonna fill it up, and let it run w/ the cap off and see if im gettin bubbles and stuff, thanks for your post, i learn new stuff every day!!!!!!

i still think its head gaskets and so does another guy from this site, horsehaulin.... he reved my truck up and listened and said its a HG from the sounds of the truck.....:(

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
i really hope its somethin easy like that, but like i said im gonna fill it all the way up and see how long it takes for the light to come back on....