Parts suggestion for new computer

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a computer I built about 5 years ago with some help from a friend. I have thought about getting a new motherboard, processor, memory, and video card. Is there any reason I need a new hard drive, case, and power source? It has a 320 GB SATA hard drive and a 520W power source.

How much should I be looking at spending for what I listed?

Sharks06LLY

May 15, 2010
Tampa Fl
I have a computer I built about 5 years ago with some help from a friend. I have thought about getting a new motherboard, processor, memory, and video card. Is there any reason I need a new hard drive, case, and power source? It has a 320 GB SATA hard drive and a 520W power source.

u wont need a new hd but u may need a new ps depending on what u get, though alot of the new processors run on a very low voltage but if u like to play games the video card will def need more than 520 my whole system running runs about 650w

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us

u wont need a new hd but u may need a new ps depending on what u get, though alot of the new processors run on a very low voltage but if u like to play games the video card will def need more than 520 my whole system running runs about 650w

I agree with Sharks; depends on the rest of the parts you use in particular the video card. But if you are not into heavy game playing and want a good card that can handle 80% of the stuff out there you can probably use your current PS.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Do you guys have any parts suggestions? Right now it has an AMD Athalon 64 3500+ processor on a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra motherboard with 1.25 GB of memory and an ATI Radeon X800 XL video card.

Which MB is that? All the ones I see with a search say "no stock". Also how are you going to do 1.25gigs of ram? I would suggest 2 or 4 gigs of ram, Windows seems to have a sweet spot for 4gigs for running most programs.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks Rob.
Which MB is that? All the ones I see with a search say "no stock". Also how are you going to do 1.25gigs of ram? I would suggest 2 or 4 gigs of ram, Windows seems to have a sweet spot for 4gigs for running most programs.
It's old! That's which one it is. :rofl: I built this thing 5 years ago. They probably don't even make them anymore. My Ram is 2 512s and 1 256. The 256 was a freebie, that's why it is there. If I do anything, I'm planning on upgrading the motherboard and everything that goes on it (processor, RAM, VC). I'd like to be able to keep as much of the other stuff as I can (case, power supply, disk drives, hard drive, ect). I'm actually looking at the same processor outlaw posted that he got.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
OK you were listing your current system. I thought you were asking for recommendations for those parts for a new system. I was thinking "he's not wanting to do much with the new system".

I did just see this combo deal at Newegg. I'm not 100% familiar with all of the parts but overall I think it might be a good deal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.549053

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Can someone explain what all the different types of RAM are? DDR3 1033, DDR3 1600, etc.

Also, what is the difference between PCI 2.0 and 2.1?

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Can someone explain what all the different types of RAM are? DDR3 1033, DDR3 1600, etc.

Also, what is the difference between PCI 2.0 and 2.1?

On the MB Asus has always made good boards and it looks that one some good options. Realize that board and many others only have 1 PS2 port for either a keyboard or mouse. The other will have to be USB or switch both over and forget PS2.

The numbers after the DDR3 is the speed of the memory. Similar to CPU speed. To me it matters more to Gamers then to 99% of the people out there. Normally I'll go for the middle speed that the MB will support.

PCIe: PCI-E 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management and support/troubleshooting systems that will be fully implemented in PCI-E 3.0, but it runs at a PCI 2.0 link speed. - So its a step in between 2.0 and 3.0 (which isn't out yet and I don't know when it will be).

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks again, Rob. Now I just need to figure out what to do about a video card.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok, anyone who knows about computers. Tell me what you think about these parts. Also, on that video card. It says minimum 450W system power requirement. Is that total system power requirement, which would mean my 520W power source will be ok, or does it need 450W just for the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...PRO/USB3_AM3_AMD_890GX-_-13-131-631-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GB)_240-Pin_DDR3_SDRAM-_-20-104-223-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...BD5-PPG_Radeon_HD_5770-_-14-131-327-_-Product

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
450 for the system. I can't find the power for the just the card but they are saying System Power not video card power.

One thing on your 520 PS is you might want to make sure that it has all of the power connections that the new MB needs. That MB needs a 24 pin plug and a 4 pin plug for power for the cooling fan for the CPU (if you look at the zoomed in picture of the MB in the lower left of the overhead view you can see it. Also the video card needs a 6 pin plug for power but they normally come with an adapter that you can use a power connector for a hard drive.

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Ok, anyone who knows about computers. Tell me what you think about these parts. Also, on that video card. It says minimum 450W system power requirement. Is that total system power requirement, which would mean my 520W power source will be ok, or does it need 450W just for the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=ASUS_M4A89GTD_PRO%2fUSB3_AM3_AMD_890GX-_-13-131-631-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...GB)_240-Pin_DDR3_SDRAM-_-20-104-223-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...BD5-PPG_Radeon_HD_5770-_-14-131-327-_-Product

Those should work good together, the memory will be a bit over rated for the mother board support but, you will be able to use the memory possibly in another upgrade later. The video card will require the 6 pin power supply cord. Make sure you get a power supply that will accept this additon. I doubt your current power supply will supply enough power to utilize this card capabilities without the 6 pin connection. Also, you may need a bit bigger power supply than the 450 watt. The video card specification will usually say what the minimum 12v amps which are required. Yes, that is total system wattage. Usually a bit bigger supply is needed if prolonged demanding card usage is required.

Sorry Rob, must have been typing as you were hitting the reply button. Thanks

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Other than the possible power supply problems, does it look like all those parts will work well together? Has anything significant changed with disk drive connections? I have a couple of drives I would like to reuse.

edit: thanks Mike. I took a little too long typing my response. I guess I'll look for a power supply.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Other than the possible power supply problems, does it look like all those parts will work well together? Has anything significant changed with disk drive connections? I have a couple of drives I would like to reuse.

edit: thanks Mike. I took a little too long typing my response. I guess I'll look for a power supply.

What kind of drives do you have? That board supports to channels of IDE. If you have SATA you will be alright to. Buss speed will slow with older ata 66/100/133 speeds though. All the listed bench marks are made with the newest technologies possible as of the time they send out the components.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I looked at the picture, and I think I see what you're talking about on the lower left. It looks like a 4 pin connector? I guess you have to remove the little black cover to get the full 6 pin connector? My current power supply has a 24 pin connector and another 4 pin connector that both go to the motherboard. Is that a definite no go?

Mike, why do you say the memory is overrated for the motherboard? This is what the motherboard says it will support: DDR3 2000(O.C.)//1600/1333/1066 (unless I'm missing something, which is possible).