P0622 Generator Field F Ctrl Circ Error

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Battery light has been on for a little over a month, but truck has been running fine and was only showing low voltage on start up but once warm would run just under 14 volts. Read volts coming from alternator once truck was up to temp and they were 13.7 I figured it was the alternator starting to go. Well four days ago the truck wouldnt start "dead batteries" so I got her home and ordered an alternator. Yesterday I fully charged the batteries "two red tops" and today I put the new alternator in, a 160 amp AC Delco. Went to start the truck which was slow to turn over but it started and it threw a p0622 and the volts on the gauge were on the line between 9 and 14. Any ideas what is causing this?

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Yea I'm really fed up with optima. This is my second set and now their out of warranty, My next step was to replace the batteries and see if the problem persists.

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
Optima used to make great batteries. I'm not sure where they went wrong. I've heard everything from patent issues to moving manufacture to out of country. I had a set of original Optima red tops that lasted two months shy of 17 years. My next set (purchased in 2010) made it a year and a half (and were already replaced once under warranty) before I sold the vehicle.

Getting back on topic... You may want to see if your ECU is sending the field signal to your new alternator. Not having dug into the LMM's diagnostic process for that code I'm guessing that the set conditions are to set the code when voltage output is low and the alternator is fully fielded. The fact that you had the battery light on with the old alternator may indicate bad batteries, or it may indicate a wiring issue to your alternator.

Did you have your old alternator tested? Have you checked the voltage output of your new alternator? I would start by testing your field signal at the alternator and go from there.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Optima used to make great batteries. I'm not sure where they went wrong. I've heard everything from patent issues to moving manufacture to out of country. I had a set of original Optima red tops that lasted two months shy of 17 years. My next set (purchased in 2010) made it a year and a half (and were already replaced once under warranty) before I sold the vehicle.

Getting back on topic... You may want to see if your ECU is sending the field signal to your new alternator. Not having dug into the LMM's diagnostic process for that code I'm guessing that the set conditions are to set the code when voltage output is low and the alternator is fully fielded. The fact that you had the battery light on with the old alternator may indicate bad batteries, or it may indicate a wiring issue to your alternator.

Did you have your old alternator tested? Have you checked the voltage output of your new alternator? I would start by testing your field signal at the alternator and go from there.

Yea thanks, I'm gonna check the new alternator now and then bring the old one and batteries to get tested.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Alright pass side battery is at 0, driver side 12.2 truck won't start. The alternator I took off was a Bosch 125 with a top pow and rear two prong connector that was never hooked up. The one I put on is a AC delco dr44g with a rear post and a top 4 prong connector. Is this alternator compatable with this model truck?

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Jumped the truck, while running I don't get a reading at all from the battery "passenger side is disconnected" or alternator. Headed to take batteries and old alternator to get tested.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Well, old alternator tested good and I put it back in. The AC delco dr44g is not compatable and both batteries also tested good. Now as for the two prong plug on the back of the alternator does it go to anything? Chris at danville said it does but I cannot locate a plug that connects to it.

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
How was one battery at 0v and tested good? If both arent at 12.2-4 then you may have some bad cells. Load test the batteries and itll show if there any good. Batteries can show a surface charge with good voltage even if there bad.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
How was one battery at 0v and tested good? If both arent at 12.2-4 then you may have some bad cells. Load test the batteries and itll show if there any good. Batteries can show a surface charge with good voltage even if there bad.

I drove the truck with the dr44 alternator installed which wasn't generating power so I was just running down the batteries. I then took my batteries and old alternator to pepboys and the batteries were charged and tested and I was told they were good and same for my alternator. I'm still trying to locate the plug that goes into the alternator with no luck, I also do not have the setup to run a second alternator. If anybody has a picture of the plug leading out of the harness please post, it is the two prong plug.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Still have not located the plug for the alternator, I am more convinced that there is not one... Truck still throws a p0622 and some glow plug codes.

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
I don't have access to factory wiring schematics here at work, but a cursory search indicates that your connector should look like this. Your alternator needs the connector in order to generate current - it is how the computer tells your alternator when to generate power. If it's not connected (which it apparently isn't) you aren't going to have power output.

The code you're throwing - P0622 Generator Field Control Circuit Malfunction is telling you exactly what's wrong. It is stating that your field control circuit (the connector) isn't connected. I hope you find wherever this wire is hanging out.

PT2057.jpg

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
I don't have access to factory wiring schematics here at work, but a cursory search indicates that your connector should look like this. Your alternator needs the connector in order to generate current - it is how the computer tells your alternator when to generate power. If it's not connected (which it apparently isn't) you aren't going to have power output.

The code you're throwing - P0622 Generator Field Control Circuit Malfunction is telling you exactly what's wrong. It is stating that your field control circuit (the connector) isn't connected. I hope you find wherever this wire is hanging out.

PT2057.jpg

Yea thanks man, I got it running correctly last night. When I was goin through my factory harness after removing my egr and grid heater I unplugged the small jumper that connects to the main harness and goes to the alternator. I found a video on YouTube that showed me the connector and bam I knew exactly what happened. Thanks guys.