OK, im a noob, and have tons of questions

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
So from what i read, stock Allinson trannys will handle no more than 80 extra HP? correct?

Also im looking for some mods to do. I picked up a turbo back exhaust from magnaflow. 4inch. is it worth it to also do a down pipe or no? next i plan on getting a tune from a fellow member on this site and he is local, Caleb.

Im looking to pick up some HP and idk if its possible at the same time, but get some more mileage out of it. although i did get 20.4 or something like that on the 1 hr trip on the highway to the mountains to go skiing.

What else should i look into for performance, that wont be crazy? I built a 2000 Camaro SS and i dont want to get crazy with this truck. not looking to get a built tranny and all of that. im going to use this truck a lot for work too
(landscaper) so i dont want something that wont be good to DD and plow with and shit haha.

So sorry for the ramble and horrible post. just looking for pointers as i am new to the wonderful world of Duramaxs. Thanks guys!

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
So from what i read, stock Allinson trannys will handle no more than 80 extra HP? correct?
Somewhat, after about that they are tough to keep healthy if it is stock

Also im looking for some mods to do. I picked up a turbo back exhaust from magnaflow. 4inch. is it worth it to also do a down pipe or no? next i plan on getting a tune from a fellow member on this site and he is local, Caleb.
You will prolly be fine without a downpipe right now. Once yo ugo bigger turbo and/or more mods you can add it to the list.

Im looking to pick up some HP and idk if its possible at the same time, but get some more mileage out of it. although i did get 20.4 or something like that on the 1 hr trip on the highway to the mountains to go skiing.
I found my bigger tunes give me the best economy if I stay out of it. 20 is pretty good.

What else should i look into for performance, that wont be crazy? I built a 2000 Camaro SS and i dont want to get crazy with this truck. not looking to get a built tranny and all of that. im going to use this truck a lot for work too
(landscaper) so i dont want something that wont be good to DD and plow with and shit haha.
Exhaust and a good tune will give you more than you prolly want. Get some gauges (boost and EGT) so you can monitor and you can learn a little by watching them.

So sorry for the ramble and horrible post. just looking for pointers as i am new to the wonderful world of Duramaxs. Thanks guys!

welcome and good luck, were all here to help.

Last edited:

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
thanks soo much guys! i appreciate the help/info. now i hate asking this question, but what kinds of numbers/times does one normally see with tune and exhaust? i know thats like keyboard racing but im just trying to get an idea.

who makes a good boost/egt gauge? and um another dumb question, where do i put the egt sensor at? do i put it in the exhaust pipe itself like i did with my bungs for 02 sensors on my camaro?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
thanks soo much guys! i appreciate the help/info. now i hate asking this question, but what kinds of numbers/times does one normally see with tune and exhaust? i know thats like keyboard racing but im just trying to get an idea.
Stock trans and a big tune (it will hurt the trans) 4x4 boosted launch (you will want the beef the front end up some, you could be in the 13s easy.

who makes a good boost/egt gauge?
Autometer are always a good bet
and um another dumb question, where do i put the egt sensor at? do i put it in the exhaust pipe itself like i did with my bungs for 02 sensors on my camaro?
Pass. side exhaust manifold. search around here, theres posts on how to do it or we can help.

Again good luck

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
underground diesel performance hooked me up with gauges and a pillar for a very good price and it comes with the egt probe and everything you need;)

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo

who makes a good boost/egt gauge? and um another dumb question, where do i put the egt sensor at? do i put it in the exhaust pipe itself like i did with my bungs for 02 sensors on my camaro?

here ya go :D

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7451

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
thanks a lot man! um what should i do with the front? mess with t bars? oh and idk if i want that big of a tune as to where it will hurt my tranny, idk if i wanna dump money into a built tranny set up

If your gonna do boosted launches, your ganna want a set of Tie rod sleeves (which are good to have in general and a good price) and some centerlink braces.

also lower t-bars down when launching in 4x4.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Since you have an LB7 & don't want to do the tranny(yet) you can't beat the Edge juice/attitude. Shift levels on the fly, has a display for gauging & is pretty safe for the tranny on level 4 or lower.

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
If your gonna do boosted launches, your ganna want a set of Tie rod sleeves (which are good to have in general and a good price) and some centerlink braces.

also lower t-bars down when launching in 4x4.
ah ok, just have to make sure they wont interfer with the plow haha

Since you have an LB7 & don't want to do the tranny(yet) you can't beat the Edge juice/attitude. Shift levels on the fly, has a display for gauging & is pretty safe for the tranny on level 4 or lower.
thanks man.

soo just asking how much are built trannys?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Mine was 4K installed with the tcase brace. Mike who?

If, and thats a way big if, i was to want/get a built tranny id put it in myself. soo under 4k thats not to bad

kit price is abour 2400 for a suncoast 3 def recommen the t-case brace since your a 4wd truck...

he has a sc2 out already(?) desined for soemthign similar to what you are goinf after with a basic programer that you can use all of it with out hurting the tranny
tuner
guagges
exhaust 4" iirc casper is still runnig 4"
and tranny

Oilfield_Mafia

Im the ONLY Okie..
Jun 8, 2008
Worlds Highest Hill
Welcome to Duramax Diesels! Just like everyone else said, gauges & Exhaust, and you can "modify" your stock airbox to get more than enough flow for what your wanting. If you tow alot, a downpipe is a great thing, and they are quite inexpensive.

FYI, most of these guys started out just wanting a few extra ponies .. :rofl:

Once you see how easy it is, and addictive.. you might change your tune as well.

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
is it hard to change the downpipe or no? i just dont want to get like my SS was, all power and wasnt that much fun to drive around town at times, breaking shit and everything. thats why idk if i want to get into all this HP and then dump money into a tranny and have that go on me (my luck)

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
is it hard to change the downpipe or no? i just dont want to get like my SS was, all power and wasnt that much fun to drive around town at times, breaking shit and everything. thats why idk if i want to get into all this HP and then dump money into a tranny and have that go on me (my luck)

the down pipe on a LB7 is major PITA honestly i wouldnt bother with it.

with a biult tranny.. under 500rwhp is very reliable and easy to drive
above 500 you start burning the candle at both end on the engine

and drivng a low 13.00 truck is alot more fun then a SS IMO :D

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
that is what makes these trucks different from gas cars is that with just a tranny upgrade, tuner, exhaust, intake mod you can be going fast as hell and reliably

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
the down pipe on a LB7 is major PITA honestly i wouldnt bother with it.

with a biult tranny.. under 500rwhp is very reliable and easy to drive
above 500 you start burning the candle at both end on the engine

and drivng a low 13.00 truck is alot more fun then a SS IMO :D
damn if the down pipe is that big of a PITA i wont bother with it. Wow, 500rwhp, id be in love with that! that would be awesome! dont get me wrong, i loved the SS but didnt fit my lifestyle at the moment. thats why i have a 98 shell hahaha

that is what makes these trucks different from gas cars is that with just a tranny upgrade, tuner, exhaust, intake mod you can be going fast as hell and reliably
soo i guess i should do a tranny. prob next winter i guess. would u say just buy a built one, im guessing from suncoast?