Oil pressure drops 10psi under boost

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So towing steves truck back i noticed something i had not seen before. with the truck in 5th gear, TCC locked jsut cruising down the road my oil pressure showed about 50 psi. If i rolled into the throttle some and didnt let it down shift, when the boost would come up my oil pressure would drop to 40 psi. its the only time i would notice it drop. no fuel in oil and idle pressure is at 20-25psi. i dont think its much to worry about but its triggered my curiousity. Ive only noticed it under a large load (towing). anyone seen the same thing with twins? never did that before with the stocker turbo only

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Your pistons are oil-cooled.

When the engine is at full load, your oil thins due to the heat.

Your oil pressure gauge can work as a poor-man's-pyro.

If you don't remember it happening with the stock turbo, it's probably just because you never noticed. It happens on all our trucks.

tractor

Mar 19, 2009
Spring Creek,NV
What would be the upper limit on oil temp. If anyone has some sort of ball park number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Your pistons are oil-cooled.

When the engine is at full load, your oil thins due to the heat.

Your oil pressure gauge can work as a poor-man's-pyro.

If you don't remember it happening with the stock turbo, it's probably just because you never noticed. It happens on all our trucks.

Ah I see. Pressure stays pretty consistant even under a big load, jsut notice the little fluctuation. I was runnin her pretty damn hard when i noticed it though :D. thanks pat