Oil Filter n00b Question

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
So, got a filter for camaro and truck tonight..

Are SBC and Dmax filters the same...?

PN wise, they are not, but, I will be damned if they don't look identical. :roflmao:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The old style tall SBC filters are the same size, and the same threads and mount as the DURAMAX. The difference is in the end of it. If you look at a tall SBC filter you will notice it is fairly flat whereas the DURAMAX filter is more rounded. Thats because the DURAMAX filter is rated for a higher burst rating, so it uses a rounded end to keep it from popping the flat end out rounded. You can screw a SBC tall filter right on, but if you feel the weight of them, the DURAMAX filter is noticeably heavier due to the thicker housing for the higher burst rating. When I looked in the catalog, the only differences listed was for the bypass pressure, and burst rating pressure. My old 6.5L used a tall SBC filter, but I ran the DURAMAX filters on it.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
That is what I figured, but just going off gauge cluster for oil pressure my car makes more cold pressure lol

Still good to know in a pinch. Thanks! :thumb:

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Curious if you had any issues? I want to use a sbc filter relocation kit. Of course I would use two duramax filters...

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I never ran a non dmax filter on it. To much of a chickenshit :rofl:

Wonder if the filtration qualities are any different though..

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Well I was just wondering if a sbc relocation kit would work on the dmax. I read that the thread pitch is the same. But I wouldn't risk running a non duramax filter either lol.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
A small block chevy kit would work just fine. My 6.5L diesel used the same filter as most small block chevys did, and I swapped over to the DURAMAX filter on it with no problems. The big difference between the small block chevy filter and the duramax filter is the thickness of the filter(and the DURAMAX filter is about an inch taller and about 3/4 of an ich larger in diameter). The thread is the same, and the size of the sealing o-ring was the same as well IIRC.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
A small block chevy kit would work just fine. My 6.5L diesel used the same filter as most small block chevys did, and I swapped over to the DURAMAX filter on it with no problems. The big difference between the small block chevy filter and the duramax filter is the thickness of the filter(and the DURAMAX filter is about an inch taller and about 3/4 of an ich larger in diameter). The thread is the same, and the size of the sealing o-ring was the same as well IIRC.

Diamter wise the two filters I had were the same, so I can't seem them wasting space inside with no filter element. I could be reading what you said wrong though.

I would be a little concerned about the fitting and hose size, doubt it flows enough for the Duramax engine.

Hose is small and I would never use that style hose connections on something as important as engine oil. SS braided at the minimum IMO.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
So essentially what you are saying is I can run a duramax filter on an sbc engine and it will work fine and be OK. If that's the case then awesome because I can get oem duramax filters for next to nothing compared to a crap brand aftermarket sbc filter.

Stancedlb7

Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
So essentially what you are saying is I can run a duramax filter on an sbc engine and it will work fine and be OK. If that's the case then awesome because I can get oem duramax filters for next to nothing compared to a crap brand aftermarket sbc filter.

Yes sir! Plenty of people already using them on built motors.:thumb:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Diamter wise the two filters I had were the same, so I can't seem them wasting space inside with no filter element. I could be reading what you said wrong though.

Hose is small and I would never use that style hose connections on something as important as engine oil. SS braided at the minimum IMO.
Depends on which small block filter you get. I have some out in the shop that are the same exact size as the DURAMAX filter, but they weigh half as much from the thinner housing and less filter media. Then I've bought other brands where the filter for a small block was smaller in height and diameter.