Oil cooler seals leaking.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
Happy 4th,

Well my LB7 is leaking a tiny bit of coolant from the oil cooler looks like it's coming from the flywheel housing to oil cooler seal?(that's what Haynes is calling it). It's a drop or so nothing big at all, but I don't want to mess around with losing coolant no matter how small of amount I live in the Las Vegas valley and don't wanna mess with losing coolant or over heating. I already ordered the seals from merchant auto, and I am ready to tackle this. Is there anyone out there with any tips? Haynes duramax says I need to remove the skid pan, and cross member bolts? Just from crawling under to check the tiny leak it looks manageable without doing so. I can do the work not worried about that, just trying to find a less ass pain way to handle the job.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
You will need to drain all the coolant, or it will do it for you and you will be baptized by your LB7.

There is 2 12mm nuts that hold the outlet of water pump to the oil cooler, the other side of the tube is just O ring in, I'd shoot to remove those 2 bolts and pull that tube off with the oil cooler rather than trying to fight the O ring going back together.

There is a 90* coolant cast piece from the back engine cover to the oil cooler, IMHO remove the studs from the rear engine adapter and again, remove the entire assembly as one piece.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
You will need to drain all the coolant, or it will do it for you and you will be baptized by your LB7.

There is 2 12mm nuts that hold the outlet of water pump to the oil cooler, the other side of the tube is just O ring in, I'd shoot to remove those 2 bolts and pull that tube off with the oil cooler rather than trying to fight the O ring going back together.

There is a 90* coolant cast piece from the back engine cover to the oil cooler, IMHO remove the studs from the rear engine adapter and again, remove the entire assembly as one piece.

Thanks for the advice, I start my leave Monday so I guess I'll tackle it then.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
IIRC there is only 4-5 bolts holding the oil cooler to the block, and the 2 O rings from block to cooler. 2 studs to remove on the rear engine adapter, and 2 nuts to remove on the water pump outlet to engine oil inlet pipe.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
After all the searching I found no DIY on any forum. I will take some detailed pics and make one. Now I just need to buy the coolant and I will be g2g.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
One last thing does the cross member have to come out? And 7 gallons? Is that diluted 50/50 or is that straight Dex cool?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I've never pulled a crossmember, but I've also never pulled the oil cooler while in the truck.

Now that I think about it, remove the studs from the water pump it will be easier to get the oil cooler assembly out with the water tube that connects to all of it.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
Coolant drained first few bolts off. Just a big mess so far
, should be wrapped up soon. I'm taking good pics.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
Well, cooler is out..... in two peices. The bottom snapped from the upper, the stupid Haynes manual pointed out only two bolts to remove on the bottom. Well Haynes you shot bags there is 3:mad:! Used minimal force and snap. Ordering a new one from merchant, thank god I took leave this week would have been screwed sith one car between me and the wife.

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
Got her all done, man putting that thing in sucked just as much taking it out. No leaks so far I took her for nice spirited drive and she worked great. I will post up some pics and make a DIY and also show what happens when you pry a little too hard on the cooler. I did not have to pull x member out.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Considered doing an external cooler?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cheesy411

Jun 24, 2015
I have thought about it, but a little out of my reach right now. I did however order a larger transmission cooler.