Noise from Subwoofer

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That’s correct. There’s only one place where neutral and ground come together and that’s in the main panel; never in a sub-panel or anywhere else.

Reactions: 2004LB7

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
That’s correct. There’s only one place where neutral and ground come together and that’s in the main panel; never in a sub-panel or anywhere else.
Unless for some reason his service disconnect is in a different box, then they would need to be separated. But if an electrician did the work that's unlikely his issue

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Yes. As I understand it, the bonding of ground and neutral only happens at the first point of disconnect. In anything I’ve done that is the breaker box. But you are correct - if the service disconnect is first, then it gets done there and the main box has them separated like a sun panel.

I’m NOT an electrician. I like sparks and generally understand code. Full disclosure. lol.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Or you have a step down transformer like a number of commercial/industrial facilities have. Then the secondary side if it's a Y (wye) side will often be bonded to the neutral. And if a delta secondary it may be stinger or corner grounded.this is where things get fun. But beyond the scope of most residential homes.

I had a job once, hooking up a temporary transformer power box at a processing plant for a worker crew for some equipment and tool power. The temp transformer I put together in the warehouse had an automatic phase reversal to make sure any motors running from it almost turned the same direction no matter the facilities phase. The circuit also checked for a good ground connection before turning on the output power. While I was there hooking it up I noticed it wasn't turning on. Voltage was good going in but no ground reference.

I had a hunch but decided to double check. After talking to one of the facility maintenance guys he confirmed it was an older style isolated delta transformer. So no grounding anywhere and the hot wires where not referenced to ground so you can touch the hot wire and not get shocked unless you also touched another hot wire. It also wouldn't trip the breaker with a short to the frame of any of the equipment and you may never know of the fault unless you probed each of the lines to all of the equipment frames. Sort of safer for miner faults but more dangerous for serious faults.

Was a weird throw back to my earlier electrical training with Delta systems and generator power grounding. The maintenance guy said he had a lot of electricians come through that could not grasp how the system worked without grounding or bonding of any kind. And was surprised I understand the concept and how it worked for how young I was.

Anyways, it was easier to bypass the safety system on my transformer box and get it up and running. I made some changes to my system later that allowed the bypassing of the ground if you wanted but a pilot light would be lit indicating the issue.

Reactions: N2BRK