No start issue.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Alright long winded post.

Have a 2003 lb7 I did a set of injectors in came in needing a set (knocking on 4 and 7). Replaced the set with s&s injectors. I fired truck ran good pulled it out told customer it was ready. Customer shows up we fire it up sounds off and has a noticeable miss.

Number 3 has a +15 rate. So pull it back then it changes to number 2 at +15. This continues to bounce around. I swap my ficm from my personal truck fires up sounds great think I have it fixed. Get a replacement ficm in it fire it up runs fine after test drive rail pressure starts surging 🙄 kicks regulator performance code repalce fpr rails happy but now I have random cylinders dropping again. Swap my ficm in same story. So I ohm wiring from all injectors to the ficm all are fine. Ohm to ecm for command wires all check out.

Start the truck and park it outside for a couple days to get other things done.

Now the truck won't even fire builds 23k rail pressure and won't even fire any injectors. Swapped a good ecm in. No change.

I have looked everywhere for what I should see for voltage at the injector plug and I'm getting 14 volts key on and while cranking.

I have verified voltage to every point prior and to the ficm. The grounds from the ficm to the block are good and test fine.

I added another ground to the truck just for kicks to know I had a good ground from the engine to cab and battery.

I have lost my mind trying to figure this out. I have replaced and or swapped everything. It has zero codes between both ecms. Never once has had code for ficm, misfire or voltage performance of any kind this entire time.

Anyone got any ideas before I burn and turn it into insurance

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Possibly loose connection on one or more injector terminals. Seems to be somewhat common if not done properly. Sometimes it last a while longer before vibrating loose, sometimes it's immediate

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The nuts on top of the injectors that attache the wires. Those are the fort thing I think of when someone complains of issues like yours right after changing the injectors. Ohming them doesn't help because you are not putting the connection under a load nor vibration of a running engine

Reactions: DAVe3283

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Agreed, it sure sounds like the wires weren't tightened on one or more injectors. Been there, done that. It will ohm out fine, but drops injectors as soon as the motor starts vibrating as it starts.

As much as it sucks, I'd pull a valve cover and verify the injector harness is tightened to spec onto the injectors.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
I'm getting 24k becuase the injectors are not firing. It's hitting a dead end it gradually rises to this pressure then opens the relief to return fuel.

I have verified everything up to the injectors. They are all coming out to be tested they have failed mechanically.

I hooked a core that's been laying around hooked it into the harness and it is pulsing and firing fuel. The issue is the injectors unfortunately.

If i can figure out how to attach a video of my Jerry rigged setup to test it that I will. I also plugged it into 3 different connections. I also tested the ohms hooked into a harness while like the video and got the same ohm reading I loosened it and it went up.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
I could see it if one maybe two were not firing but all 8 no. I have a method i use since I did that very mistake on 1 injector 15 years ago.
Agreed, it sure sounds like the wires weren't tightened on one or more injectors. Been there, done that. It will ohm out fine, but drops injectors as soon as the motor starts vibrating as it starts.

As much as it sucks, I'd pull a valve cover and verify the injector harness is tightened to spec onto the injectors.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
This is a core injector so take that for what it's worth. The rail pressure was barely above the threshold to fire with this injector hooked up (ran out the return like a mf)so pw at that point would be damn near always on vs the smaller shot to fire at 76mm commanded and 12 mpa that's a 3000 us pulse so

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What’s crank and cam signal doing? Didn’t happen to pinch the wires or mess with/break the ground on the pass side of the block? (The little black wire)

Reactions: 2004LB7

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Does that truck have remote start by chance?

Passlock Interface For Remote Start/Stop
PURPOSE
The information below outlines a procedure to disable the Passlock Theft Deterrent for C/K trucks in which remote start/stop applications
are required. This procedure is required because a remote start/stop system will not function with the current Passlock Theft Deterrent
on 2003 and beyond C/K trucks.
Note: The following information is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system
and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.
CAUSE
If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Truck Body Computer (TBC) will
interpret this start request as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
I argued with my guy and he's like I'm telling you all 8 went bad so we tested it out like this and I was like fuuuucckkkk.. what are the odds of 8 simultaneously failing mechanically 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

I went and bought a lottery ticket... s&s is very interested in seeing these things back
That does pretty clearly seem like a mechanical issue with the injectors. Bummer.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
It doesn't have anything but I killed vats just to test that theory with the new ecm.
Does that truck have remote start by chance?

Passlock Interface For Remote Start/Stop
PURPOSE
The information below outlines a procedure to disable the Passlock Theft Deterrent for C/K trucks in which remote start/stop applications
are required. This procedure is required because a remote start/stop system will not function with the current Passlock Theft Deterrent
on 2003 and beyond C/K trucks.
Note: The following information is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system
and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.
CAUSE
If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Truck Body Computer (TBC) will
interpret this start request as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I argued with my guy and he's like I'm telling you all 8 went bad so we tested it out like this and I was like fuuuucckkkk.. what are the odds of 8 simultaneously failing mechanically 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

I went and bought a lottery ticket... s&s is very interested in seeing these things back
If all 8 injectors are bad, why would the ticket be good? 😛