Nitto 420s on 22x12 4 inch lift

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think stretched tires on wide wheels looks dumb. I also think the 5 spoke LML wheel is fugly. Now everyone can hate on me.

FWIW, I ran a 305/50R20 on a 9" wide wheel, and it wore the center out of the tread in about 20-25k miles on two completely different brands of tire. I stepped it down to a 285/55, and it wears perfect now. No, the tire was not run over-inflated. My personal opinion is a 12" wide wheel is a little too wide for a 305, but that's more of a looks opinion than it is a safety opinion. I'm sure it is perfectly safe if the manufacturer lists that tire fitting that size wheel.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Glad this guy was able to get all of the pics he was looking for of a 4" lifted truck with 12 wide wheels and 305 tires on this thread.....

IMHO it looks weird when guys lower their lift kits down and put 420s on any size wheel/tire. As much as you might not want to, do the correct thing if you are looking for performance and remove the lift. If not maybe look into Terra Grapplers or such in a bigger tire. Lavon ran the Terras both times he won DPC and they did everything they needed to!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Your rim is too small for your tire, that's dangerous BTW

It's not an e rated tire but it has a higher load rating than some D's I've compared it to so it has an acceptable load rating, Now as far as rim width I used a half ton rim that is the same dimensions and picked out a 305/50 for it and nitto says it's ok to run, so in every aspect of the tire on that wheel it is safe according to nitto, so no you are wrong.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
It's not an e rated tire but it has a higher load rating than some D's I've compared it to so it has an acceptable load rating, Now as far as rim width I used a half ton rim that is the same dimensions and picked out a 305/50 for it and nitto says it's ok to run, so in every aspect of the tire on that wheel it is safe according to nitto, so no you are wrong.

Minimum is 8.5 according to their website :joker:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
too much wheel width and too little wheel width will greatly affect 60ft Anthony, you know this. running a 12" wide means you need more air than normal to keep the center of the tire from caving in and loosing traction. too narrow and you dont get the contact patch you could have with out letting alot of air out. then you have the issue of having to put too much air in or not enough to make the tire work for you. i watched plenty of trucks last weekend at the TnT here in phx with horrible contact patches and running these wide wheels with 420's. you can see it on the track. Took some playing with our cummins to get the 10" wide wheels to play nice with the hoosier 30s for 18" rims.

also, 420's were never designed for our trucks so saying its ok to run them on 12" rims via the mfg is sorta miss leading. yes we meet the weight rating but we do not meet the load index

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I agree on all points, but I would prefer a rim too wide than too narrow. My truck loves higher psi no matter the tire or rim.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ya know, back in the late 70s/early 80s we used to jack up the ass of our cars with airshocks and install big tires (by that era's standards -- G60-14s baby!). We did a lot of things when we were younger that we thought were the coolest thing to do, yet nowadays it seems kinda foolish. Age and experience.....

Im not thrilled the whole "diesel ricer" thing is starting to infect this forum, but whatchagonnado? Ban em all? :hehe:
These kids think its cool (dope? sick? WTF term do you all use now?) even if most of us dont. Racers vs ricers.
I personally dont think stretching tires on a wheel is a wise thing to do.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
:hehe: My 18 y/o daughter uses that term. I wondered what it meant. To me, it means the same as "high". I think we may have used it back in high school to describe being drunk, too.

Just u wait til the build thread comes around, Brian. I'll use it just for the hell-of-it. ;)

jwilliams198

Jul 20, 2016
Hope you don't get mad cause it's not exactly what you're asking for but here's mine. My t bars are cranked and I have 22x12s and proxes 305/40s. I plan on putting a 4 inch lift on and dropping it down to the height I am now. Might help you out. I love how it looks

That looks great

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
The best part about being an enthusiast is putting your character into your platform. Like some people keep it subtle with drop shackles or some people jack them up on 37's. If everyone did what was "safe" we would all run a 18x10 on a 33" tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Hope you don't get mad cause it's not exactly what you're asking for but here's mine. My t bars are cranked and I have 22x12s and proxes 305/40s. I plan on putting a 4 inch lift on and dropping it down to the height I am now. Might help you out. I love how it looks

Damn! Clean truck bud!

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
The best part about being an enthusiast is putting your character into your platform. Like some people keep it subtle with drop shackles or some people jack them up on 37's. If everyone did what was "safe" we would all run a 18x10 on a 33" tire.

Well said! :thumb:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

But going with a tire and wheel larger than what the mfgr recommends in dangerous :poke: :D