NHRA tech and the Dmax injector fuel return line.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
NADM has hired a NHRA divisional Tech official as their new Tech director.
I like the way he techs, and doesn’t just bounce you for something wrong, but ask you to work towards becoming NHRA compliant.
I asked him to tech my car as hard as possible towards the rules, because I want no problem if I tow 2000 mile to run NHRA top dragster. My transmission case was in need of a new SFI tag, he didn't bounce it but wanted it fixed by next event. As the director of NADM tech , he has that latitude because they are a sanction body. At a NHRA event it would not have passes if the tech guy was doing his job.

My car is going to have to compete in Top dragster so it must have a advanced SFI tag
Now to the part everyone here will be interested in.
The plastic injector fittings and return lines. This is in the general rules and applicable to all classes. He told me that most NHRA tech would not even understand what they were, but could become aware.
The plastic and cloth wrapped lines were at issuer. I had a machinist there that makes the rockers for Haisley, Dick Smith tool and machine. He is building a set of metal tits and -3 lines to fix the problem. I don’t see this as a issue unless it is and advanced car

What is everyone thoughts on this , as we go faster and faster NHRA is taking notice

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think it's a good idea. I'd like to see how they turn out.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Rules

I think your a piece of SH!! trying to start more crap! You only race your mouth and cause trouble!!! Your a joke and a cancer to anyone that races! Only thing you look for is a way to make money or scam parts from someone. You really do make Wade look pretty good.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Haha no sh!! Tells us how you really feel, some tension here I'm guessing, maybe he got burned, who knows but damn that was straight and to the point, good job:roflmao:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I have no dog in this fight but im guessing it sounds like someone is trying to get nhra to make a rule to outlaw these plastic return lines so him and his buddy can be the first ones selling the "FIX" kit to the problem and will make tons off mine until other vendors cetch up:confused:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I'd rather hear from the tech director himself as to why there's a problem instead of hearing it secondhand.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I have no dog in this fight but im guessing it sounds like someone is trying to get nhra to make a rule to outlaw these plastic return lines so him and his buddy can be the first ones selling the "FIX" kit to the problem and will make tons off mine until other vendors cetch up:confused:

the NHRA /NADM tech pointed it out to me , The rule already is in force for the last 30 years . I'm not selling them or making them. and it will only effect SFI cars at this point. meaning cars faster then 7.50.

not sure what his problem is , and I don't really care. We will settle this on the track.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Just look Greg up and you will see!

He thinks he is something he is not. He starts trouble for everyone then he leaves. He's a fire starter. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts fires in Tx so he can watch his work and then put it out. You are a true piece of sh!!! I don't have to worry about you on the track you NEVER RACE! How in the he!! can it take you 3 years to build a car? Your a joke! To the staff of DuramaxDiesels if you think i'm wrong ban me. I will not let this Poor excuse of a person cause trouble for those that do race without telling everyone.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Returns

Simon its not a problem with any of them. Has anyone ever seen a return line come off even if the clip was not there they don't move. There is no pressure on the return. All the guy does is cause problem, get fired, start a new "Program", get fired and move on. I love it when someone has a FIX for nothing. I have raced for 30 years at a fairly high level and have seen a bunch of guys come and go just like this a$$hole. I have been burnt seen others get it and just can't stand it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
He thinks he is something he is not. He starts trouble for everyone then he leaves. He's a fire starter. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts fires in Tx so he can watch his work and then put it out. You are a true piece of sh!!! I don't have to worry about you on the track you NEVER RACE! How in the he!! can it take you 3 years to build a car? Your a joke! To the staff of DuramaxDiesels if you think i'm wrong ban me. I will not let this Poor excuse of a person cause trouble for those that do race without telling everyone.

Your part of the staff Jeff. :hug::D

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Sorry Mike

I just can't see why a person would cause more trouble for nothing??? I guess to just see himself as something he is not. I really don't care what anyone does as long as it doesn't affect me. When it does I will stand my ground and let everyone else know about it. It would be like saying you have to have a sfi drum in the tranny because it "COULD" blow up. If the racing world worked on "what if's" nobody would race. I like his rant about legal counsel!!! Ya why don't you do that Greg. LOL What a joke of a person. Wade just likes to brag and I can deal with that it effects nobody else. I even talked to Wade at the last race, I just like busting his ba!!s because he takes it so personal. Greg on the other hand will cause a bunch of problems for others then just disappear. I and many others don't need that. I like to race and unless it affects me I could care less.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Actually the rule regarding rubber or non steel shielded fuel lines has been in place for years. This has NOTHING to do with him coming out with something new, or trying to start something. And for you to say that is beyond RIDICULOUS! And this is NOT just an NHRA rule as most ANY large sanctioning body requires this. I have raced NHRA, IHRA, and NVWA since I was 15 years old, and I have encountered this at EVERY event I EVER raced at, even unsanctioned events. This is a HUGE safety issue regardless of how much pressure is on it. The diesel sanctioning bodies have been letting this slip through most likely(I'm speculating here) because it was what was available and what came on it stock. I'm shocked at a lot of the things I see at diesel events and the lack of enforcement of basic safety standards, but it is even MORE shocking that ANYBODY who is involved in professional level racing would make accusations like those above.

Safety standards are in place for your protection, the safety crews protection, and your competitors safety. they are required for the what ifs, not the most likely scenarios. And these same standards enforced by ALL of the major sanctioning bodies have SAVED countless lives. you don't have to like them, but if you want to play the game then play by the rules. If you don't like them then don't play, but don't sit back and ridicule somebody for getting teched and finding a HUGE safety violation that should have been corrected YEARS ago. But to personally attack him for having it found and bringing it up to others attention really shows your character is the only assumption that can be logically made from it.

I'm sure I will now be flamed for this, but so be it. He didn't bring up anything new, it was just finally found by a tech inspector who knew what to look for.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I just can't see why a person would cause more trouble for nothing??? I guess to just see himself as something he is not. I really don't care what anyone does as long as it doesn't affect me. When it does I will stand my ground and let everyone else know about it. It would be like saying you have to have a sfi drum in the tranny because it "COULD" blow up. If the racing world worked on "what if's" nobody would race. I like his rant about legal counsel!!! Ya why don't you do that Greg. LOL What a joke of a person. Wade just likes to brag and I can deal with that it effects nobody else. I even talked to Wade at the last race, I just like busting his ba!!s because he takes it so personal. Greg on the other hand will cause a bunch of problems for others then just disappear. I and many others don't need that. I like to race and unless it affects me I could care less.

Since you made the doesn't affect you then why should it matter reference, then lets use this comparison. Lets say somebody with a truck that doesn't meet tech goes down the track and oils it the whole way down. The track cleans and preps as best they can, but now your looking at a 2-4 hour delay that could cancel the event. Or even worse another truck or high level vehicle that NEEDS a good track runs, loses traction, and slams into the wall and dies. All because you feel the safety standards shouldn't apply to you. Now that drivers family decides to sue the track and sanctioning body because of the drivers death, all because YOU feel the standards shouldn't apply to you because of the what ifs.

Now the track is bankrupt and closes down, and the sanctioning body decides it has to do something to prevent future accidents and the sport changes forever. All because a few felt the rules shouldn't apply to them.

Like I said flame away at me, but this IS the world we live in now, and this same EXACT scenario HAS happened. And it is EXACTLY why safety rules like less than 12 inches of rubber fuel line combined on a vehicle, and steel shielded fuel lines for vehicles running faster than a certain ET are REQUIRED. And is also why something as easy to melt as plastic is also forbidden.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Lines:
All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data
recorder lines) must be metallic, steel braided, or NHRA-accepted “woven or woven-pushlock.” A maximum of 12 inches total (front to rear) of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose is permitted for connection purposes only; individual injector nozzle and motorcycle fuel lines are excluded.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I didn't not bring this up , the NHRA Tech did , I don't just run diesel events but NHRA events where a 200 mph car is subjected to a higher standard then the rest . The Tech went on to show me that it was a general regulation as well .

I have seen two good friends die in competition eliminator and both ended in the rules being raises . we now have to wear SFI 15 driving suits because of a flash fire in Joe Angelo's B/econo dragster , after a top end crash. The other in roll bar gussets after Jeff Kruggs C/Street roadster crash.
both drivers died as a result.
I am proactive in the rules , not just the minimum.
I have racers 6 category's on national event levels in NHRA. I have been consulted about diesel rules from time to time form Tech people that have moved up in NHRA to higher positions.

simply stated as a Pro we have a responsibility to help the sanction body's to make it a a safer place.
as to diesel fuel not burning as fast as gas alone, while that is true , once it get burning it burns hotter and longer. I have 25 years experience as a air craft crash fire fighter , JP8 is very similar to diesel . once its burning it is hot and hard to extinguish.

I was contacted about an hour ago , and it looks like NHRA is looking at it. I assume a report when in on this level

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Simon its not a problem with any of them. Has anyone ever seen a return line come off even if the clip was not there they don't move. There is no pressure on the return. All the guy does is cause problem, get fired, start a new "Program", get fired and move on. I love it when someone has a FIX for nothing. I have raced for 30 years at a fairly high level and have seen a bunch of guys come and go just like this a$$hole. I have been burnt seen others get it and just can't stand it.

I cracked an injector Jeff, pushed it out of its bore, and caught my truck on fire, melting the return fitting and lines. Kyle was at the 300ft mark on the track with an extinguisher when it happened, luckily....if it had been on the 1/4 mile track who knows how long it wouldve taken to get the fire out since I wouldve had to been teh one to a.) notice it and b.) grab the extiguisher and put it out myself....

I am in support of rules like this not even for the sake of the track's liability, but because it adresses possible parts on a very expensive vehicle that many builder's probably didnt even think of being a fire hazard.

Also, the return system on a dual fueled duramax is fully capable of blowing the fittings out and even tearing the o-rings...how do I know this? Because That's how I found I had forgot to check the seat of one of my clips one time:eek: