New 'vibration'

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Traveling out to NY last week pulling a small trailer, I noticed what seemed to be a new vibration, somewhere between 50 & 60 MPH. Coming home heavier, it was more noticeable, and I was able to narrow it down a little. It feels similar to when you're driving on rumble strips (But FAR less intense - more if a 'mild' vibration or buzzing), and it is most noticeable between 55 & 60 in 5th gear. It does seem to be present in 6th in the same speed range, although it seems to have been less noticeable. In 5th, when I pushed up through about 62MPH, it faded away.

Anyone have any thoughts what it could be?

Dirty230

Jun 27, 2017
Colorado
My truck does damn near the exact same thing. LBZ with 240k. CC/LB and the driveline has had new ujoints and hanger bearing twice already. Don't notice it until pulling somethin.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Since both of you said vibration when towing , my BobCat excavator on tralier broke a belt on a tire and would only vibrate at certain speeds . Just a thought .

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
In my case, one tire is brand spanking new - was put on right before I left - and the other is nearly new. If it had 200 miles on it, id be shocked. Although im not saying its impossible, it didn't feel like something coming from the trailer, and like i said, the frequency of the 'vibration' was very much like driving on rumble strips. It felt to me like it might have been coming from the engine or transmission. As far as only being there when towing, my guess woyld be something related to having a big parachute (the trailer) behind me putting extra load on the truck.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Have you checked the balance ring on rear drive shaft and up and down play in yoke at t case and carrier bearing for lube and play .These things all needed to be fixed on mine .Iam sure you didnt overlook t case fluid !

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Moved over to Chassis and Suspension.

Wheel/tire out of balance?
Not sure this should be in chassis and suspension.... Doubt it is wheel balance because it is only there when my foot is into the loud pedal maintaining speed or accelerating. If I take my foot out of it and coast, its gone in the 55-60 range where it exists when under power.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Had the same feeling in my truck, ended up being the balancer on the rear pinion yoke. Ran it with the truck in the air and could literally watch the wobble in the balancer.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I was chasing a vibration for over a month now.

Original u joints
Carrier bearing us 30k miles old

Ended up being a bad carrier bearing again. Had over a 1/4" of play in it.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
In my case, one tire is brand spanking new - was put on right before I left - and the other is nearly new. If it had 200 miles on it, id be shocked. Although im not saying its impossible, it didn't feel like something coming from the trailer, and like i said, the frequency of the 'vibration' was very much like driving on rumble strips. It felt to me like it might have been coming from the engine or transmission. As far as only being there when towing, my guess woyld be something related to having a big parachute (the trailer) behind me putting extra load on the truck.

I would blame that tire since the vibration wasn't noticeable until that tire was put on. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't fail.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I would blame that tire since the vibration wasn't noticeable until that tire was put on. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't fail.
Considering that this was the first time I've ever pulled this trailer this speed or distance (it belongs to a friend), I wouldn't make that leap. The only other time I had pulled it, I barely got above 50. When I finally have some time to check things, I'll take a look at what has been suggested on tge truck.