New to the strip Any tips?

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Hey guys I plan on going to the strip this weekend for a test & tune day. It's an 1/8 mile track that was resurfaced last summer. I know the basics of drag racing. I helped tune a pro street car for a few years. Never been near a diesel at the strip. Just looking for some tips. I am supposed to race a Lingfelter crovette 550hp. I don't think I stand a chance but if I loose I have a good reason.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Get tierod sleeves if you don't have them.
Drop your t-bars down.
Drive around the water
First pass leave at 2000 rpms and adjust up or down from there.
Take all the crap out of inside of truck.
Might also lose spare and tailgate.
If you have an aftermarket intake pull your headlight.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Thanks Kat, that is pretty much what I was thinking. Do you need to adjust air pressure or just adjust if the wheels spin? I have tierod sleeves and idler & pitman arm braces. I still get a little torque steer when I launch in 4wd with the t-bars down. Do I need to look into a straight center link?

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Thanks Kat, that is pretty much what I was thinking. Do you need to adjust air pressure or just adjust if the wheels spin? I have tierod sleeves and idler & pitman arm braces. I still get a little torque steer when I launch in 4wd with the t-bars down. Do I need to look into a straight center link?

Drop the psi down and adjust it accordingly to how much wheel spin you get.

A center link would help.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would suggest you put your stock wheels and tires on if you still have them, and start off at about 35 psi front and 30 rear. Looks like the front end of your truck is sitting up pretty high. Do you have leveling keys in the front? If not, make sure you drop it all the way down. Some guys like to put one or two turns on the right side bolt to preload a little. If you are doing 4wd launches with those aftermarket wheels, that will make it launch a little worse than the stock wheels.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
My truck was a custom truck from the dealer. It never had stock wheels. I have a new set of 285's a pretty worn set of 285's and a pretty worn set of 295's. I have no idea which set is lighter. I have leveling keys and planned on taking the bolts out. If I left the right side in with a couple of turns would that help torque steer?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If I left the right side in with a couple of turns would that help torque steer?
No, you need to get the front end low to get a smooth launch. Those wheels aren't helping you either.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Aftermarket wheels usually have a lot less backspacing than stock wheels which increases the scrub radius and gives the tire more leverage against the steering knuckle. The keys are probably hurting you more than your wheels though. When you have the bolts out, what kind of angle do you have with your CV axles and tie rods?

MadMooseEngineering

Mar 28, 2008
Boise, Idaho
the weight and size of them can effect launchs and make them worse, i know of a set of stockers for sale but they are in Boise ID so might be spendy to ship to you i would go try Les Schwab and see if they have any take off wheels or the dealership.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
When I pull the bolts. The axles and tierods are almost perfectly flat or straight. here's what I have done to my truck. Do you have an idea on the et?

68mm cheetah
40% injectors
bag o parts in cp3
shimmed and ported rails
airdog 150
ported and polished intake pieces
lbz mouthpiece
de downpipe 4in. exhaust
custom intake
stg 2 water'meth 70% meth
efi live
tierod sleeves
centerlink braces
spring clamps
traction bars
built trans 3d converter transgo new clutches
co-pilot
n2o if needed
and probably more that I'm forgetting

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
When I pull the bolts. The axles and tierods are almost perfectly flat or straight. here's what I have done to my truck. Do you have an idea on the et?

68mm cheetah
40% injectors
bag o parts in cp3
shimmed and ported rails
airdog 150
ported and polished intake pieces
lbz mouthpiece
de downpipe 4in. exhaust
custom intake
stg 2 water'meth 70% meth
efi live
tierod sleeves
centerlink braces
spring clamps
traction bars
built trans 3d converter transgo new clutches
co-pilot
n2o if needed
and probably more that I'm forgetting

Nice list of parts there , good luck .

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
doesn't McRat have a 'how to' drag race thread in here or at the place?
thought I saw it once and just started to look for it again when I saw this. Got a track day planned, and its my first time. hoping it doesnt go like the titanic

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Check with 12secondhandshaker (Darius) about wheels. He has a connection that gets PY0s very cheap.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I hope to be better than low 13's. I am running a tune that I built. I hope to be around 575-600hp. I am running a 70% methanol blend, and should be over 600. I have a .60 shot on nitrous if I think I need it. I would hope to be in the low 12's to high 11's in the quarter with n2o. I am planning on running an 1/8mi. track. I usually sled pull and this is the first trip to the track. Trying to get a feel for it to see if its something I want to do.