New to Duramax what year to buy?

kchaulin

Jan 15, 2015
I look forward to learning from you all.

I am in the market to buy a 2500 HD for pulling a 5th wheel camper only once a year or so with a GVWR of 14,200 lbs. Will mostly use it only to commute to work. I’ve never had a diesel and know very little about them. I would like recommendations on which years GMC / Chevy to buy. I am limited to spending around $25k.

Do you have any links to the history of Duramax’s?
What years have the most problems etc? ...
I’ve read a lot about injector / pump problems etc and would like any info you could provide.
What should I look for when buying a used one?
Any tell tale signs of abuse?
I also just spoke with an individual who has a a 2012 Chevy 2500 which just had a pump blow and it caused $8200 damage. Complete fuel system replacement. What year did they introduce that engine?
Thank you,

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I look forward to learning from you all.

I am in the market to buy a 2500 HD for pulling a 5th wheel camper only once a year or so with a GVWR of 14,200 lbs. Will mostly use it only to commute to work. I’ve never had a diesel and know very little about them. I would like recommendations on which years GMC / Chevy to buy. I am limited to spending around $25k.

Do you have any links to the history of Duramax’s?
What years have the most problems etc? ...
I’ve read a lot about injector / pump problems etc and would like any info you could provide.
What should I look for when buying a used one?
Any tell tale signs of abuse?
I also just spoke with an individual who has a a 2012 Chevy 2500 which just had a pump blow and it caused $8200 damage. Complete fuel system replacement. What year did they introduce that engine?
Thank you,

Some history
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51106

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Pound7. Just not 01-02

Or an lml? Go shopping and find something nice in your price range. You can find horror stories about every engine. Take someone that knows diesels or bring it somewhere before you buy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
06-07
07 classic

LBZ all the way!
Crappy, paper thin pistons aside, if I bought another one Id still get the LBZ...

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
I think more than the year is trying to spot abuse I the truck... IMO..

All Dmax's are great and all have problems.. Try and find one as bone stock as you can...

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
'06 or '07 LBZ is the best. I wouldn't hesitate to get an LLY though, I like mine and it has never let me down. I tow a 12K fifth wheel, probably have 30K miles of just towing. I had the trans beefed up although there wasn't really anything wrong with it and fixed the transfer case pump rub issue because I didn't want problems on the road.

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
I'm gonna say LB7. They've had their problems with cups and HGs but a low mile one won't let ya down. not to mention... No egr problems. I get blown away every time we have someone bring a truck in wanting egr and as I pull the Intake tube off and see all that carbon and nastiness that has been feeding that motor. Lb7 injectors are cheaper to buy.... Cost more to have put in unless you can do it yourself.... Then your just cusing that lb7 lol. Its a toss up really. As they say. Find what you like and go from there. Post some info on some as you find em and I'm certain everyone will be willing to pitch in advice. Pretty honest folk around here.

kchaulin

Jan 15, 2015
OK guys thanks for the info and opinions. I suppose I will have to live with whatever I end up with. I'll post when I finally get one. Having a hard time finding one close to savannah ga. Folks like to hang on to them.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Look in our classifieds. Buy Dustins truck. Great deal

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk