new parts, no power steering, still have power brakes

DurtyMaxin

Jul 10, 2012
Hey guys, so I just replaced my entire power steering system, brand new pump, pulley, hydrobooster, all lines (except for low pressure return from steering box to pump), added a cooler and magnefine filter. The only thing I didn't replace is the steering box. After 4 days of bleeding and flushing, I still have no power steering. My power brakes work awesome, and for the first time since buying the truck I have no power steering whine/overheating. I've pulled all my lines, cranked it over to verify fluid pressure, bled the hydrobooster at the return line (booster to pump), everything seems good. With the tires in the air, steering has power but it's still sluggish and appears to not have full power. With the tires on the ground, power steering works about 1/8th turn left or right and the tires turn with the steering wheel with ease, one hand. This is at a dead stop with the full weight of the truck on the tires. Then it sounds like I'm heading the full steering lock (pump hiss) and I can't turn it at all unless I dry steer it. On the road conditions are similar and steering is very sluggish. After verifying no air bubbles in the filter or cooler, no foaming of the power steering fluid and full power brakes, I believe my box has crapped out. Has anyone experienced these symptoms before? I replaced the pump and booster with brand new (not reman) GM units. I have a used box out of an 05 GMC duramax with 60k on it lined up for a deal (can't afford to spend 600 on a box right now), so I'm trying to verify that the issue is provably the box crapping out.

Thanks guys!

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
It has to be the gear box. Your brakes work so that means the power steering pump and hydro boost ate working. I just replaced the same exact parts like you did with new AC Delco parts as well and all is well with mine now.its your great box

DurtyMaxin

Jul 10, 2012
It has to be the gear box. Your brakes work so that means the power steering pump and hydro boost ate working. I just replaced the same exact parts like you did with new AC Delco parts as well and all is well with mine now.its your great box

Thank you for the reply. I was pretty dang sure it was but been trying to find some confirmation lol. I guess I'll be buying that box! It really sucked after all that work to still not have power steering haha.

By the way, I snapped a moog problem solver pitman arm after 15k soft miles. Lasted 11 months, that's why spurred all this work. Food for thought. :)