New lift, cut tie rods?

nsolimini

Sep 18, 2011
Lakeland, FL
I am running the dmax store XD tie rods which are just like rare parts g2.

I just installed the Tuff Country 4 inch lift kit on my truck this weekend. When I took it to get aligned, the tech told me the tie rods are too long. So I went out with him and he is correct, they are too long and my truck is still toed out .28 and .80.

I called DMAX store and their tech support said I am supposed to cut about half an inch off of the outer tie rod. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

nsolimini

Sep 18, 2011
Lakeland, FL
Well damn, now I am going to need to find a chop saw to cut through these big ass tie rods.

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure it was pretty normal. He said my instructions said to cut them, but I checked again and there was nothing on the lift instructions that said to cut my tie rods.

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
I just took mine in to machine shop to ensure the threads didn't get damaged when I did them. If I remember right I took a 1/4" off each sided or my tuff country with kryptonite stuff.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Install both adjusting nuts prior to cutting and use them as a guide, run the nuts further down after cutting then grind to feather the threaded ends, finish by removing the nuts...

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Just barely had enough on mine with a cognito. Cutting off a 1/4" would have made it easier

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Dukcaln

Dec 6, 2014
Nor California
I installed the lower XD ones. I would hope it will not void any warranty as Dmax Store Tech Support said to cut them.

You could also send them in and we will cut for free and send back. Your our shipping cost. As for the warranty, if your lift requires you to shorten the factory tie rods or any other tie rods with factory dimensions then obviously it is the only way to get your alignment into spec. We do under stand this and we do take this into consideration when dealing with your warranty. :hug:

nsolimini

Sep 18, 2011
Lakeland, FL
You could also send them in and we will cut for free and send back. Your our shipping cost. As for the warranty, if your lift requires you to shorten the factory tie rods or any other tie rods with factory dimensions then obviously it is the only way to get your alignment into spec. We do under stand this and we do take this into consideration when dealing with your warranty. :hug:

Thank you sir! I doubt I will ever have any problem with these bad boys, but glad to know I will not be screwed if something happens.