LB7: New injector issues... help pls

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
After much consideration and talking with well trusted friends I elected to go with 30 overs in my lb7. I bought the injectors from Precision Diesel Injection & Turbo here in Michigan, they came recommended by another local friend that had good luck with his lb7 30 overs. I am currently running Steve's tuning for the stock injectors... still waiting on him to send me a retune. Anyways on to the issue....

I am having excessive raw fuel smoke at idle on cold starts (way more than I would anticipate for only 30 overs).. and some funky popping/tiss-tiss noise (listen to video). It will smoke like this on ambient temps of 30-60*. The popping noise is there on the 30-45* ambient temp starts. Both the smoke and noise goes away as the engine and fuel temps start to rise... usually coolant temps above 85* and fuel temps about 50-60*. The injectors were flow tested/balanced and had mm3 measurements of 1.2-2.0 at 5kpsi when tested.

For those who are experienced, what do you think/feel could be causing the tiss-tiss noise and excessive smoke? :confused::confused:

I have checked everything from compression to the glow plug circuits for appropriate voltage... only thing I haven't checked is the glow plugs themselves (they looked perfect when I did the compression test). My thought is the injectors just aren't that good, or something about fuel atomization because of low cylinder heat... any insight would be greatly appreciated :hug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8rvAHf7Rn8

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ha! not if i let you drive levis shit (assuming i get it running by the time you get back)

did you every ohm out your glow plugs like we talked about?

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
ha! not if i let you drive levis shit (assuming i get it running by the time you get back)

did you every ohm out your glow plugs like we talked about?

I was just thinking about asking about that stuff... I haven't ohm'd out the plugs yet... that's the only thing I have left to do, haven't had time because I am in the process of moving. I'll have to call ya tonight or this weekend.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Reseal the cups? Could have a hung injector. Take the plugs out and crank.

Take it off the lope tune

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Reseal the cups? Could have a hung injector. Take the plugs out and crank.

Take it off the lope tune

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I did reseal the cups when I installed the injectors. What would cause and injector to hang only on cold starts and be fine the rest of the time?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
After much consideration and talking with well trusted friends I elected to go with 30 overs in my lb7. I bought the injectors from Precision Diesel Injection & Turbo here in Michigan, they came recommended by another local friend that had good luck with his lb7 30 overs. I am currently running Steve's tuning for the stock injectors... still waiting on him to send me a retune. Anyways on to the issue....

I am having excessive raw fuel smoke at idle on cold starts (way more than I would anticipate for only 30 overs).. and some funky popping/tiss-tiss noise (listen to video). It will smoke like this on ambient temps of 30-60*. The popping noise is there on the 30-45* ambient temp starts. Both the smoke and noise goes away as the engine and fuel temps start to rise... usually coolant temps above 85* and fuel temps about 50-60*. The injectors were flow tested/balanced and had mm3 measurements of 1.2-2.0 at 5kpsi when tested.

For those who are experienced, what do you think/feel could be causing the tiss-tiss noise and excessive smoke? :confused::confused:

I have checked everything from compression to the glow plug circuits for appropriate voltage... only thing I haven't checked is the glow plugs themselves (they looked perfect when I did the compression test). My thought is the injectors just aren't that good, or something about fuel atomization because of low cylinder heat... any insight would be greatly appreciated :hug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8rvAHf7Rn8

Well well well.....someone else who runs his rebuilds besides me. I was recommended to him from our mechanics at work. Honestly? I regret going to him. Mine have always been "loud", if you get my meaning. They were also a bit on the smokey side, too.

Clatters like an SOB on cold start? Everything smooths out when the truck gets warm? Balance rates seem to be ok even though it doesnt act like it?

You have EXACTLY the same issues with yours that I have with mine, although mine are 6 years old now and have 50,000 miles on them. Those symptoms started a couple years ago. Odd, I even have the same tuning as you do, but Im not blaming anything on that, as it would do the same on my "12.40" tune, too.

All I do is "deal with it" on cold start. The colder it is, the more smoke and clatter there is. Glad that spring is here, as its not so bad. Tonight the truck started and ran clean....first time in a long while I could say that. I Just pay more attention to them after the truck warms. If the smoke and such continues then, I'll have to pay the piper.

Lincoln 50 or 75 SAC's when the time comes.

Come to think about it, though.....you probably just have bent rods like James said. :hehe:

Last edited:

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Well well well.....someone else who runs his rebuilds besides me. I was recommended to him from our mechanics at work. Honestly? I regret going to him. Mine have always been "loud", if you get my meaning. They were also a bit on the smokey side, too.

Clatters like an SOB on cold start? Everything smooths out when the truck gets warm? Balance rates seem to be ok even though it doesnt act like it?

You have EXACTLY the same issues with yours that I have with mine, although mine are 6 years old now and have 50,000 miles on them. Those symptoms started a couple years ago. Odd, I even have the same tuning as you do, but Im not blaming anything on that, as it would do the same on my "12.40" tune, too.

All I do is "deal with it" on cold start. The colder it is, the more smoke and clatter there is. Glad that spring is here, as its not so bad. Tonight the truck started and ran clean....first time in a long while I could say that. I Just pay more attention to them after the truck warms. If the smoke and such continues then, I'll have to pay the piper.

Lincoln 50 or 75 SAC's when the time comes.

Come to think about it, though.....you probably just have bent rods like James said. :hehe:

Well fawk.... dammit Tom, why do you have to give me bad new like that?! :hug::roflmao: I bet it has to do with the way he recuts the checkball seat. I talked with the guy that was there extensively before I pulled the trigger on it about everything. It wasn't Marty, Marty was in Florida for a few weeks when I dropped them off.

To answer your above questions, yeah, exactly like you said.... clattery till the engine coolant and fuel temps are up to 80+ or so. I have been racking my brain on it, doing everything to check health... comp test, leak test, checking glow plug voltage and plugs to make sure the cylinders are heating up the way they are supposed to, etc. etc. You know, over active injunear mind. I have one cylinder that is 60-80 psi lower than the other 7... and that has a +2.5 average balance rate (hints my post discussion on another thread we were talking on).

Are you running their 30 overs Tom, or just stock remans?

Like you said, I fully regret going to PDI&T at this point. I am still under their 1 year warranty... I might pull them have them check them for contaminants and possibly have them just put the stock nozzles back on. OOOOOOR maybe even see if I can just get my money back for them and go elsewhere.... especially since I called Exergy and they sai they could check and flow test them, but wouldn't touch or adjust them because they were someone else's remans. :mad:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Mine was the same way, I had 4 bad glow plugs, mine smoke, knocked, got a misfire one night after work, had Caleb put the tech 2 on it and the glow plugs were junk. No more popping and rattling. It still smoked when cold though