Need help please.

Palaney

Mar 19, 2023
Oklahoma
I have a 2005 Gmc topkick 4500, with a Duromax engine. The vin code called for a LLY engine, bought a used engine, placed in truck, will not run right, like its in Limp mode. The truck is a Bucket Truck, I am being told the truck was not a complete vehicle from factory but a cab chassis. So the Engine was not A LLY but the one before that. So now I have a LLY engine in it. What would it take to make the LLY run correct with the exsisting computer???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Did you have to swap any of the injector plugs or FICM or ECM connectors? If not and it was just plug and play then very likely you have the right engine. The LB7 and LLY didn't use the same wiring or connectors.

What codes do you have?

Palaney

Mar 19, 2023
Oklahoma
Thank you for the reply, I am wrong on what Engine I should have put in it. It was a commercial Engine option a Duromax LRX. Any ideas on how to get the LLY to work in an application that is a LRX.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just want to make sure we are all on the same page here. You have an 05 Kodiak 4500 that needs a motor. You bought an LLY from a cab and chassis truck (not a Kodiak/Top Kick but a Silverado/Sierra based truck). Is the engine you bought from an 04.5/05 truck? If yes, you can use it in your truck, but you will need to swap a bunch of parts including but not necessarily limited to upper and lower oil pan, flywheel housing, exhaust manifolds, up pipes, down pipe, wiring harness.