Need help picking out a new (used) Duramax

mrdan27611

Nov 25, 2016
Raleigh, NC
www.ninjacowfarm.com
I have a 2015 DRW 3500 Chevrolet I purchased new. It's my daily driver. After 24 years of driving and loving Chevrolets, I hate it. Not the truck. And not the engine. And not the transmission. The electronics. Since the day I bought it, there has been something wrong with it. Driver alert system. Stereo. DEF reminder. Whatever. Something is wrong and the dealership has effectively thrown up their hands and said, "That's the way it works. We can't fix it." Or my favorite, "My (personal) truck does the same thing. Annoys me too."

I've gone to the dealership and they are going to take the truck back. That puts me in the market for a new truck. I believe I can get by with a 2500 diesel since we have another DRW 3500 on the farm. That puts me back into the world of more normal trucks so I should be able to find what I want, except for one detail I'll address at the end.

For now, I've come across a 2008 2500 LTZ.

http://www.gmdirectautomotive.com/v...tz-crew-cab-std-box-4wd-monroe-nc-id-15211100

My question to you guys is, is this a good year for the Chevrolet truck? It's the first year of Tier IV emissions. I don't recall hearing anything about problems, and I'm sure I can delete the DEF/EGR if I need to. Although I've never done it. All my previous trucks have been prior to 2008 except for the current one. Usually year one of something new has some quirks that they solve in later years. Should I avoid 2008?

If there is any reason to look at other years, what years would you suggest? I'm concerned about getting much newer because of the electronics. I like all the plushy bits of a LTZ trim package, but I don't want lane assist, driver alert, all that crap. I just want to nice trim and basic electronics. Seems if I stay in the last decade, that stuff wasn't part of the trucks yet.

Oh, and the one extra detail? I'll be pulling the bed off and putting a flat deck trailering bed on it. Something like this I think (although not this exactly).

http://www.gmdirectautomotive.com/v...00-lt2-crew-cab-4wd-drw-monroe-nc-id-15211098

I pull a gooseneck about twice a week on a slow week. We did this on our latest 3500 and it's perfect for us. We load an unload with forklifts routinely. And I have a full welding shop and machine shop. Having a steel, flat bed, is super convenient and easy to upgrade/repair/modify over time. Doesn't look as sexy and normal, but neither do I. :D