My results from Byron's Diesel Event 2015

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I was told I need to post this over here so you guys could see what I did with my this last week. It still has the junkyard LMM Ambulance motor in it with my 68mm Stg2R on it. Well, since Dave Burton went to the track and ran an 11.58 with the new 10mm CP3 and we redyno tuned it, and Kyle Harbin pointed out that it was faster than he or I have been with a stock motor the challenge was presented to see if I could match him or beat his time. So I grabbed my Exergy 250%inj and 12mm CP3 off my built motor and put them in the stock motor and retuned it for them. Made 749hp 13xxftlbs and went to a track and ran some 7.xx at 97mph in the 1/8th with shitty traction issues. Got to thinking about it and decided to get really technical with it and put it back on the chassis dyno with my cylinder pressure tool to see what, when and where it was making power. The goal was to make as much power as possible with the setup without destroying the motor. Thanks to Fingers I had my stock rod limit threshold and used it as my guild and tuned around it til I stopped picking up power. I ended up at 780hp with a much flatter power curve while keeping the cylinder pressure in check! Feeling a lot better about the setup now we headed to Byron to see how fast it would go. First pass out on a soft launch she went [email protected]! I was extremely pleased with this and decided to see if I could get it to go faster! I went back and pulled the passenger seat and center console and all the lose crap in the cab including my stereo amp and sub thinking I would pick up another tenth hopefully. Well, it backfired in my face because the track went away for us 2wd guys. Tried to leave harder and the 60ft times got worse but I managed 120mph on the next pass but it was only 11.35. Final pass I get to line up with Brett heads up and was to busy watching him leave me sitting there and I forgot to shift so I went 11.78@119mph. Well I ended up Runner-up in the event and got a trophy for it so had a blast! Nothing broke and motor is still as strong as it was when I started! To verify this I used the cylinder pressure setup to measure cranking compression before I started the tuning session and after and now and it is still at the 480psi it was when I started. I am very happy with the results to say least. Tuning the engine via cylinder pressure is the only way to truly know what is happening in the motor. This is the first time I have utilized this tune on my chassis dyno as it was purchased and has only been used on my engine dyno for the big stuff but I will be implementing it a lot more in the future. Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVUx8nDsdIU

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Nice job.

I don't suppose you'd share what this cylinder pressure tool is???

Probably a high pressure transducer, maybe avl or someone else. And it's more than likely a peak to peak setup rather than giving him a full pressure wave vs. crank angle (that takes a crank encoder of sorts).

Nice work Mark! Always enjoy reading about pushing stock parts to the limit! :thumb:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Awesome buddy! Just glad you got the bug again and went out and had some fun! I have to get to a 1/4 track and see what mine has in it before the year is up. Co grays again. Nothing like a stock engine and a VGT going 11.2's!

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Probably a high pressure transducer, maybe avl or someone else. And it's more than likely a peak to peak setup rather than giving him a full pressure wave vs. crank angle (that takes a crank encoder of sorts).

Nice work Mark! Always enjoy reading about pushing stock parts to the limit! :thumb:

Thanks! No, it is a 10k psi tranducer setup with digital scope and amp clamps with fixings so I can see the entire pressure wave along with the injector fire and crank positioning reference so I can see everything I want going on in there and it is super sensitive(You can see the difference in pressure with weak vs. strong battery during cranking test or how the fuel pressure bounce affects cylinder pressure). It was a very expensive setup but I feel it was more than worth it and it definitely proved it this weekend to me in the real world!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Thanks! No, it is a 10k psi tranducer setup with digital scope and amp clamps with fixings so I can see the entire pressure wave along with the injector fire and crank positioning reference so I can see everything I want going on in there and it is super sensitive(You can see the difference in pressure with weak vs. strong battery during cranking test or how the fuel pressure bounce affects cylinder pressure). It was a very expensive setup but I feel it was more than worth it and it definitely proved it this weekend to me in the real world!

Ah, cool deal!

I didn't figure you'd have a fancy setup like that, but I'm usually wrong :D

Care to share what the max cylinder pressure you try to run before bad things happen?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Sooo...Mark
How much for a recalibrated tune, again?
:hug:

Nice work Mark!
Way to keep pushing the envelope and have fun at the same time:woott:
You should really find out who is tuning that black C-10, that guy knowz was up:angel:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats bad ass mark!! i was following you on facebook as you raced. the truck looks like its hooking up pretty damn well compared to before. did you make any changes to it as far as suspension since?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
thats bad ass mark!! i was following you on facebook as you raced. the truck looks like its hooking up pretty damn well compared to before. did you make any changes to it as far as suspension since?

Actually yes! Brett told me to remove the front sway bar and I found out my caltracs were broken. I installed new ones and change the axle bracket location and angle of the bars and it made a huge difference in how the truck drives and hooks on the track. Still waiting on my low profile crossmember so I can do the coilover frontend from you sir! I wish I hadn't put my truck on the back burner this year because I was personally frustrated with the industry as a whole. My truck is my stress relief for sure and I didn't know how much I missed it until I got it back up and going! My plan now is to build a full time race truck so I can go faster and compete at big events!:thumb: