LLY: my custom big twins build

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
my custom not-big worthless twins build

So a little while ago I sold my old-school MPI twins to my buddy dave (HEEPJEEPS) and we put them on his 06 LBZ CC/LB SRW.

I wanted to build my own twin setup because I wanted to do some unique things differently from MPI and I wanted to go bigger. And I just wanted to say Ive built my own twins. :)

I finally have all the parts except for the turbo. Im really frustrated with Forced Inductions because I ordered it monday with specific instructions (and paid extra shipping $$) that I needed it by friday (yesterday). OK. Fine. They said it shipped out on tuesday. Called on thursday to make sure it was on its way (its only coming from alabammy to CT, come on, shouldnt take that long). They said YES and that it would arrive UPS friday by 2:25PM. Well you can probably guess how the rest of the story goes; 2:25PM came and went, and as of right now (saturday) its still not here. I tried calling them all afternoon yesterday, no answer, WTF.

I need my truck running by this coming thursday because Im going up to school to visit my friends who are still there (have to relive college days every so often) and to pay the school's town of canton, ny for a ticket that was 3 years unpaid so I can get my license un-suspended in NY. NO it wasnt a ticket for drunk in public or being an idiot, it was for a broken headlight, imagine that! :p: :joker:

ANYWAY. Its gonna be custom "BT DieselWorks twins", designed/built by ben and dave.

- borgwarner S480 T6 1.32 A/R
- stock LLY turbo
- 3" mild steel (actually I think it might be aluminized, I dunno, I got it at a local tractor trailer shop) hot pipe
- 3.5" mild steel/aluminized cold pipe between the two turbos
- 3" and 2.5" mild steel/aluminized intercooler-to-intake manifold pipe
- full 4" mild steel/aluminized downpipe
- custom LLY turbo mouthpiece with machined v-band flange and o-ring
- re-use my MBRP 4" cool duals exhaust from the downpipe back

Im using LBZ runners/intake manifolds and a van bridge. I dont know what stooge at GM designed the stock LLY/LBZ two piece elbow/bridge thing but its annoying and impossible to hold in place and get to seal tightly without the EGR in place. So im using the van bridge and going from there...

Im going to try to make the pipes really complicated with as few silicone-boot-joints as possible because all they do is leak. Ideally there will be only 2 silicone boots. One at the cold pipe going into the LLY turbo mouthpiece, and one at the outlet of the intercooler to allow/account for engine movement.

Here are some crappy blackberry pics of what im working on today. Ill get some 'real' pictures up later on.

Ben

Attachments

• IMG00202.jpg
    IMG00202.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG00203.jpg
    IMG00203.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG00204.jpg
    IMG00204.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG00205.jpg
    IMG00205.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG00206.jpg
    IMG00206.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG00207.jpg
    IMG00207.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I thought you said big twins?

What was the old set size, two stock turbos?

oh ok fine sorry simon, 'biggER' than most of the other twin setups out there, you knew what I meant. :rolleyes:

Almost everyone else (including MPI) uses an S475 or similar sized turbo. If you call up MPI and ask for the "big twins" you get a GT45 or S480.

trent ran 11 flat on S480 twins; I guess thats not 'big' though? Same time that you ran, except trent did it on a stock motor in an extended cab.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
oh ok fine sorry simon, 'biggER' than most of the other twin setups out there, you knew what I meant. :rolleyes:

Almost everyone else (including MPI) uses an S475 or similar sized turbo. If you call up MPI and ask for the "big twins" you get a GT45 or S480.

trent ran 11 flat on S480 twins; I guess thats not 'big' though? Same time that you ran, except trent did it on a stock motor in an extended cab.

the big twin kit from mpi comes with a htt for the small charger to replace the stocker. That is what trent ran the 11.0 on. You are on the right path you just need to ditch the vvt.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
eventually long term I would like to replace the stock LLY turbo with that garrett avnt4094.

if I put the S480 in now, Ill be all set (rather than having to redo it) for whenever I do have the money to upgrade the stock VVT. But like I said that wont be for a while...

With the vanes wide open, the LLY turbos do flow/bypass a bit more air than the LBZ/LMM turbos, so we'll just have to wait and see how it works I guess...?

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It should work well for what the stock motor will hold. Are you gonna gate it or just let the 480 eat?

I will start out with running it non-wastegated.

I have big dipper injectors, LBZ CP3/regulator, stock LBZ short block, LLY heads, and head studs with C gaskets...

ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Hey Ben, don't you know a welder works a lot better than masking tape??? :p

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
ok stupid question...

what size is the S480 inlet? Is it the same as an S475? I have a 4" metal elbow with the MAF sensor bung and everything, with a big rubber 'bushing' coupler that increases the 4" pipe so it attaches to an S475-sized (I think??) compressor inlet.

It measures 5" in diameter...so is an S480 inlet 5" in diameter...?

of course I wouldnt be asking this question if forced inductions could deliver stuff on time when they said they would........................................

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
great thanks Simon, thats one thing I was worrying about...the air filter of course being the last thing you put on, with my luck Id go to put it on after I just finished the entire build and it wouldnt fit... :rolleyes: