modded regulator fix

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
alright so i just installed a lbz cp3 with modded rear cover and modded regulator on my 03 lb7. i fixed the high rp at idle with b1010, but ive got some slight surging in overdrive about 50-60mph. does anyone know what tables to adjust for this?

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
the question ive asked has no relevance to my sig. if ive got a modded fpr and lbz pump, obviously its not stock.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
the question ive asked has no relevance to my sig. if ive got a modded fpr and lbz pump, obviously its not stock.

Which is EXACTLY why you need to fill out your sig. Other mods could be causing the issue. Like an aftermarket fuel filter or lift pump for example can cause surging in some LB7 trucks.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i just went through this. Make sure you B1010 table is smooth. When i first put my LBZ reg in i only adjusted the first 3 numbers. between the 3rd and 4th number there was a big diffrence. I had to smooth the table by changing more numbers. Some only say to change the first few thats what caused my problem. Now that i changed more its gone.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
yeah i logged a run, i was wathcing it last night and you can watch the rp at about 55 mph, desired is like 8k or so and it will be right at 8 and then all of a sudden it will go to like 16,17,18, even 20, then come back down to the commanded. im sure thats why its surging but i dont know how to fix it.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Anyone have anything on this...I believe this a big problem with running modded regulators and for anyone that has this problem knows it sucks. BigStrokin is a good friend and we just put this pump in this past weekend and the stuter is bad, its actually worse than mine.

Lets put our heads together and find a fix:D

Larry where are you at?

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
What tune is in it?

I'm having this issue with my truck as well as my buddies and I am running a modified PPE tune and he is running an unmodified ppe tune. He does have a bad regulator so we will be addressing that first.

Last edited:

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
mine went away when i dropped from level 8 to level 6. I will be working on my issue over the next week or two. I'm an EFI Newb so hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas. I have my ideas but need to do a log...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
alright so i just installed a lbz cp3 with modded rear cover and modded regulator on my 03 lb7. i fixed the high rp at idle with b1010, but ive got some slight surging in overdrive about 50-60mph. does anyone know what tables to adjust for this?

Might want to look at a stock lbz tune and yours in the b1010 area
LBZ actually allow less fuel than a lb7 but the ports on the reg are different so I assume that is why.

you might try raising the b1010 value in the area that is giving grief:)

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
i just went through this. Make sure you B1010 table is smooth. When i first put my LBZ reg in i only adjusted the first 3 numbers. between the 3rd and 4th number there was a big diffrence. I had to smooth the table by changing more numbers. Some only say to change the first few thats what caused my problem. Now that i changed more its gone.

LBZ actually allow less fuel than a lb7 but the ports on the reg are different so I assume that is why.

I have to agree with these guy's. Especially with the LBZ pump, and the mod.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO

LBZ has a LOT less entries in the table (B1015, right?). My guess is you'd have to put the LBZ values in as close to the same poisition on the LLY table, and smooth out the spots in between... Am I on the right track? I think I've got an idea how to fix it with logging, but I can't experiment until I get my trans back in (HOPEFULLY Friday/Saturday).

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
LBZ has a LOT less entries in the table (B1015, right?). My guess is you'd have to put the LBZ values in as close to the same poisition on the LLY table ( except WOT area), and smooth out the spots in between... Am I on the right track? I think I've got an idea how to fix it with logging, but I can't experiment until I get my trans back in (HOPEFULLY Friday/Saturday).

I havnt experianced the surge,But if it is a result from the regulator then this may help fix it:dontknow:

I used excel to come up with a average between the lb7 and lbz .If we raised the numbers closer to the lbz numbers in the trouble areas it might help. I wouldnt change it a WOT or you are just loosing what you gained by adding a lbz reg.

Attachments

• b1015 vs b1010.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I wouldnt change it a WOT or you are just loosing what you gained by adding a lbz reg.

Maybe I'm just not understanding things right... The idea of the modded regulator is to allow more fuel to flow, because the stockers tend to become a restriction when you're running high PW. The way I understand it, and from looking at logs on my truck (I've had rail pressure problems for a while), with a stock or failing regulator, it keeps commanding less and less mA to flow more fuel trying to get to where it wants to be, but due to the stock or failing reg, it can't get where it wants. Enter the new modded regulator that CAN flow what is needed. Now if the ECM wants X mm3, which the original just couldn't supply, but the new modded one can, it just needs to know how many mA to give to get the right amount of fuel. Along with that, it's flowing more fuel, so at idle, it needs more mA to flow less and be where it wants to be. Since the modded regulators flow more fuel at the same mA as the stockers, we need to adjust them down so it's getting the fuel it wants, right?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Maybe I'm just not understanding things right... The idea of the modded regulator is to allow more fuel to flow, because the stockers tend to become a restriction when you're running high PW. The way I understand it, and from looking at logs on my truck (I've had rail pressure problems for a while), with a stock or failing regulator, it keeps commanding less and less mA to flow more fuel trying to get to where it wants to be, but due to the stock or failing reg, it can't get where it wants. Enter the new modded regulator that CAN flow what is needed. Now if the ECM wants X mm3, which the original just couldn't supply, but the new modded one can, it just needs to know how many mA to give to get the right amount of fuel. Along with that, it's flowing more fuel, so at idle, it needs more mA to flow less and be where it wants to be. Since the modded regulators flow more fuel at the same mA as the stockers, we need to adjust them down so it's getting the fuel it wants, right?

Maybe im confused but adding M/A should decrease fuel