Metal Work Newbie

cumminsram96

Mar 20, 2007
I'm a pretty good mechanic, wouldn't think much to pulling a trans or a motor, but I've never done any kind of metal work and I would really like to get into it. So what are the basic tools I should be looking into? I was thinking about a mig welder, plasma cutter, and hand tube bender for starters. What brands/models or additional tools would you reccomend? I'd like to start off and make some work benches, ladder bars, and move on from there as I get some skills under my belt. Maybe one day a roll cage or tube bumpers.
Thanks for the help.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I live for fabrication! One of my fav things to do! Heres what i would recomend:

MIG welder = Lincolin Electric
Oxy-Ace torch set = Victor
Chop saw (metal cutting) + Dewalt or Bosch is nice
4-1/2 inch grinder = Bosch
Bench grinder = ??? up to you
Air compressor = ???
angle and straight die grinders (dotco) = Ingersoll
files
Drill and bits
Vise-Grips
Bench vice

Thats a good start, still lots of things. Need all the cutting/grinding disks and such for the above equipment. Wouldnt worry about a tube bender at this point yet. I suggjust reading up on the welding/fab type stuff or find someone to learn off of. getting some experiance under your belt is pricless and will improve your work quality much! Once you can get a grasp on this you can make all kinds of things:D:D

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I live for fabrication! One of my fav things to do! Heres what i would recomend:

MIG welder = Lincolin Electric
Oxy-Ace torch set = Victor
Chop saw (metal cutting) + Dewalt or Bosch is nice
4-1/2 inch grinder = Bosch
Bench grinder = ??? up to you
Air compressor = ???
angle and straight die grinders (dotco) = Ingersoll
files
Drill and bits
Vise-Grips
Bench vice

Thats a good start, still lots of things. Need all the cutting/grinding disks and such for the above equipment. Wouldnt worry about a tube bender at this point yet. I suggjust reading up on the welding/fab type stuff or find someone to learn off of. getting some experiance under your belt is pricless and will improve your work quality much! Once you can get a grasp on this you can make all kinds of things:D:D

Humm lets see i need traction bars and umm some other stuff