Manifolds question

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
So while I have the transmission out of my truck I figured I'd put some manifolds and up pipes on the old girl.

I purchased some ppe manifolds and up pipes but they didn't come with new gaskets. Are people reusing their old ones or should I replace them? Just want to know before I throw them in.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If they're still good throw some copper coat on them and reuse them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
Cool just wanted to be sure. I got new ones for the up pipes just because I don't want to do those again with the transmission back in! Glad to hear I can re use the rest though

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Technically I believe they're all 1 time use gaskets. But...I've never had an issue reusing them as long as they physically still look good.

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Reused my manifold gaskets but used profab up pipe gaskets. Should have thrown ricks mani gaskets on it also but for whatever reason I didnt. You will have to trim the factory gaskets. Should be in the instruction pamplet. If you need them pm me, I'll sell you my profab gaskets cheap. They are just collecting dust.

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
Reused my manifold gaskets but used profab up pipe gaskets. Should have thrown ricks mani gaskets on it also but for whatever reason I didnt. You will have to trim the factory gaskets. Should be in the instruction pamplet. If you need them pm me, I'll sell you my profab gaskets cheap. They are just collecting dust.

What do you need to trim on them?

SwitchBack

Sep 8, 2012
Vermont
Also decided to wrap the manifolds and pipes. Ceramic coated them with some rattle can stuff I picked up too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 79

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
FYI in the instructions it says to feed the drivers side up pipe from the drivers side before installing the manifold... I did mine with my transmission out like you so figured I could just put it on from the rear and was wrong. I had to remove the manifold and feed the up pipe in from the drivers side and reinstall the manifold... I know it sure looks like it will go on simply from the rear and the stock one comes off easy like that but the new one doesn't go in that way...:(

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'm still blown away that truck didn't have them already..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
FYI in the instructions it says to feed the drivers side up pipe from the drivers side before installing the manifold... I did mine with my transmission out like you so figured I could just put it on from the rear and was wrong. I had to remove the manifold and feed the up pipe in from the drivers side and reinstall the manifold... I know it sure looks like it will go on simply from the rear and the stock one comes off easy like that but the new one doesn't go in that way...:(

:yup:
:approved:
Fer sure man, the Norwegian in me fought the simple fact that DS up pipe wouldn't fit into place from the passenger side for quite some time, lol
I definately found out the EXTRA hard way that it doesnt fir without the DS manifold off and snakeing the up pipe past the DS head and firewall... If I hadn't gone thru the struggle, I wouldn't believe it myself :spit:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
:yup:
:approved:
Fer sure man, the Norwegian in me fought the simple fact that DS up pipe wouldn't fit into place from the passenger side for quite some time, lol
I definately found out the EXTRA hard way that it doesnt fir without the DS manifold off and snakeing the up pipe past the DS head and firewall... If I hadn't gone thru the struggle, I wouldn't believe it myself :spit:

Seems to me like I remember getting the old I told you so from you when I went through this struggle...:roflmao::hug:

Deuces1

Jul 9, 2014
Sorry kind of a newbie on tapatalk but how do I disconnect the steering wheel shaft to make getting the driver side exhaust manifold out?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Sorry kind of a newbie on tapatalk but how do I disconnect the steering wheel shaft to make getting the driver side exhaust manifold out?

Remove the pinch bolt, the upper part of the shaft slides up tword the steering wheel and will allow the lower to be moved side to side/ up and down. I suggest turning the wheel to where the bolt is easily accessible then putting the seat belt through the steering wheel to hold it more or less in place. This could save you having to buy a clock Spring in the column.

Deuces1

Jul 9, 2014
I removed the pinch bolt the other day and could get the shaft to pull apart. I wasn't 100% sure if I was doing it correctly but I'm guessing I gotta get some strength behind breaking it loose? Like I said, I wasn't really sure how it was supposed to be done so I didn't really want to chance it.