low rail pressure

HDLBZ

Dec 21, 2013
Waynesboro, Pa
Hi
Just joined and have had a problem for a while now with low rail pressure this issue started out with getting a change fuel filter display and changed the filter and couldn't clear the display. after a while it started throwing a glowplug 6 code ,after a week it went to a number 6 and number 3 glowplug code. That is when i started getting the low rail pressure code p0087.
I'm one to start to the biggest problem first I replaced the cp3 pump
and (no fix) opened the rail orifices in both rails still (no fix). I changed the tune back to stock still kicks the code, I have put the 65 hp tune in and put a lift pump on and had no codes after the first run no problems , the truck ran healthy as ever started and stopped the truck all that day with no problems . The next day started it and had the change filter and # 3&6 plug code again took the truck for a ride and kicked the p0087 again and limped it as usual . It don't always set the codes on the filter and gowplugs when it don't the truck is unstoppable when it dose it limps every time CAN IT BE THE ECM going bad ? Sorry its so long but im frustrated!!!! LOL

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I don't know why you started with the pump as the injectors the first thing to fail and cause this issue on LBZ's. Since I believe in doing the simple easy things first I would add a race valve to make sure you aren't leaking fuel out of the rail.

If that doesn't fix it your most likely going to need a set of injectors.

HDLBZ

Dec 21, 2013
Waynesboro, Pa
I'm not against the race valve but it don't happen every time . I drive the truck daily and it only limps if it displays change fuel filter and sets the glowplug codes rite off when you turn on the key . If it don't display anything and the glowplug cycle normally the truck runs fine no problems . only has 75000 miles on the truck

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Try fixing/replacing the glowplugs first then. See if that change or helps it. I don't believe it will but they should be fixed regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Just remove the hose on the left rail for blowoff and crank it. If you have fuel bleedin out of rail than you need a new blowoff

from mobile

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
Is the "blowoff" the same thing as what is called a frpr? Driver side rail at the back? I would have thought that would be the first thing to change/check.

HDLBZ

Dec 21, 2013
Waynesboro, Pa
thanks guys . I checked the injector rate and its fine .checked the glowplugs by swopping them with the plugs beside them and still getting the glowplug codes .
thats why i'm looking at the ecm because its hit and miss on when it sets the codes .
may just get the ecm re flashed and go from there. haven't did the bottle test yet.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Instead of starting a new thread:

Today is the coldest and windiest day so far. Temps are 18 and wind chill is in negatives. First day of the year this cold. Going to work I warmed up the truck for at least 20-30 mins. Leavin early, only about 3-5mins. Not long enough but im sick as a dog and needed to get home. About 4 miles along my path home the truck wouldnt go above 2000rpms and had very little power. I was in 4x4 because the back roads havent been cleared from the snow storm last night. It died on me 3 times in the mile it took to get home. I limped it into the driveway. Im throwing poo87 so here is my assumption after using the search:

My tank has maybe 10-15 gallons in it, and it wasnt warmed up long enough. Im guessing the cold weather caused some gelling in my fuel and that is the culprit. Truck runs like a raped ape. 136,000 miles and very well taken care of before I got it. I need to update my sig. But im curious what you knowledgable people think, as Im a diesel newb. I plan to head to advanced auto for some additive if you folks suggest it.

Thoughts?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Most likely just a gelling issue. Power service 911 works good for a "rescue" of a gelled truck. But I prefer Stanadyne as a normal maintenance additive to prevent gelling in the first place. A lot of people run and like Howes additive also.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
HDLBZ what tuner are you running? also did you install a draw straw with your lift pump and what was your fuel level at?

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Most likely just a gelling issue. Power service 911 works good for a "rescue" of a gelled truck. But I prefer Stanadyne as a normal maintenance additive to prevent gelling in the first place. A lot of people run and like Howes additive also.

Thank you very very much. Ill head on down and get some. Will plugging the truck in help prevent this?

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Warmed it up for about 30 minutes and headed to Autozone. All they had was Power Service Winterizer/Antigel. I got 2 bottles. Added the prescribed amounts and got some more fuel. No more codes no more problem. Truck ran like new. Thanks gents.

Plugged in over night now.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Put it on a timer so it only comes on a few hours before you head out. It draws a significant amount of power and you will see it reflected on your bill otherwise...;)

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Simple solution to avoiding going into limp is never stick your foot in it when the temperatures are below +20*F. And always use an anti-gel additive at those times. Maybe it won't go into limp at those times but when/if it does it just sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I535

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Put it on a timer so it only comes on a few hours before you head out. It draws a significant amount of power and you will see it reflected on your bill otherwise...;)

Oh shit. Ill remember that for the future. My ass is in bed watching Tombstone...no way in hell im going out there. Hahaha thanks guys for all the help and tips.