Low Coolant Light

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
Ever since I did the head studs/Gaskets and EGR delete my low coolant message pops up everytime i turn the truck on. It never did this before i pulled the cab and did the work so I am at a loss as to what is causing this. I have checked all the grounds and connections and it all seems to be fine. Could the coolant tank sensor have gone bad while the tank was out? What else could be causing this? And yes, the resevior is full. There is a very small leak where the lower coolant hose goes into the radiator but that is becasue of this dumb ass quick disconnect design and i pinched the internal o-ring causing the leak. I doubt that could be causing the light to come on but who knows.

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
Sounds good! i think a new sensor is like 30 bucks from the dealership so i may just pick up a new one. Does letting it sit while the tank is empty reset it or something? Also, any idea what size that damn o-ring is thats inside the lower hose? i thought i found a part # but when i got what i ordered the o-ring was way to big and the dealership only sells the whole damn hose.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
By chance, did you get the A/C pressure sensor and low coolant wire swapped? I've heard of people doing that, and it will cause the low coolant light to come on.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
By chance, did you get the A/C pressure sensor and low coolant wire swapped? I've heard of people doing that, and it will cause the low coolant light to come on.

X2!! I did that once and thought oh $hit there goes my head gaskets lol! I'd check that like Josh stated!

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
Hmmm, i'll go check that out at lunch. I took the tank out yesterday and man thats a wierd ass sensor. Looks like it bases its reading off pressure in the tank? coolant never touches the sensor.

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
All the connectors look different, are u talking about the coolant tank plug and the plug that goea to the a/c canister on the firewall?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
:rofl:Awesome, im almost sure thats what i did on my truck! Just switched the wires but its too cold too start it and only run it for a littler bit. I tried jumpering the wires together and that didnt fix it so then i checked for open and couldnt find any and it was ticking me off.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
All the connectors look different, are u talking about the coolant tank plug and the plug that goea to the a/c canister on the firewall?
Yes, those two are the same plug. The one that goes to the accumulator/drier should have a gray plastic barrel that slides on to a stud in the firewall next to the drier. The one that goes to the coolant tank usually has a piece of green tape around the split loom at the end near the plug.

DieselD

Aug 27, 2009
Virginia
You guys are AWESOME!! That was def my problem lol I also pulled the lower rad hose and cleaned the o-ring good, now no more leak! All I gotta do now is permanantley fix those damn trans cooler lines.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
wow,, can't believe with all of these I've worked on I've never had this happen to me nor did I realize the two were the same. Now I'll know if I ever do have this happen. thanks!:thumb:

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
You guys are AWESOME!! That was def my problem lol I also pulled the lower rad hose and cleaned the o-ring good, now no more leak! All I gotta do now is permanantley fix those damn trans cooler lines.

I hate those stupid LBZ "quick disconnect" radiator hoses. Such a pain to pull off.

Tony B makes a nice trans cooler line repair kit allseasondieselperformance.com

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Hmmm, i'll go check that out at lunch. I took the tank out yesterday and man thats a wierd ass sensor. Looks like it bases its reading off pressure in the tank? coolant never touches the sensor.

is that how it works??? i was curious because i plan on building a new coolant tank for a twin setup and wanted to incorporate the low coolant sensor in the new tank, wasnt sure how it worked though!?