Help: Loud whining noise/loss of power

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
Hey guys, I've been having a random issue while pulling with my LLY/6spd dually. It's happened about 5 times now where it will develop a loud squealilng/whining noise from the engine area, and it'll lose a ton of power. I've babied it through, and when the noise stops the power returns. I do have a 4" exhaust, and a PPE tuner, but it did it several times before either of these was added. The truck has about 50k on it now. I've searched here, and google to no avail. Any ideas?

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
I thought that, but it sounds like a mechanical whine. It stops on it's own w/out shutting the truck down, would a boost leak do that? I'm not real familiar with diesels, but have dealt with boosted cars for a while.

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
It just loses about half the power. Doesnt shimmy/shake or anything. It's only happened under a load pulling my concession trailer. Trailer weighs around 13k pounds.

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
I've been running the level 2 tune. I thought maybe the tuner would help since it was doing this stock, but it's done it with the tune installed too.

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
Nope, doesnt smoke at all. I read a little bit of a thread I found on google that mentioned a CP3 making noise. Looks like they're 8-900 bucks, hope that's not what I'm hearing.....

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
Yeah, I had a master plan of doing just that, but my pos phone had other ideas. I'm pulling again this Saturday, maybe I can catch it doing it. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
What kind of whining noise is it, kinda rough or turbo sounding? Check and see if you have any shaft play, take off the intake and mouth piece and inspect the fins. :thumb:

06DuallyMax

Back in a Max
Nov 8, 2010
Augusta, WV
I pulled again this weekend, and sure enough it did it. For a few seconds anyway. If it was an issue like shaft play, wouldnt it be an issue anytime it was in boost? I can run the piss out of it w/out the trailer hooked up, and it's flawless. I pulled the trailer about 15 miles that morning, up some steep hills and nothing. Pulled it about 25 miles that evening and it started making the noise, but stopped a few seconds into it. One of the guys at the local Chevy dealership suggested changing the fuel/air filters. The fuel filter has maybe 8k on it, air filter is unknown. I'll change both this week, and hook up Saturday and see what happens. It seems to do it more when I'm NOT trying to push the truck hard.

Jul 7, 2011
Georgia
I'm having very simliar problems with my 07 lbz its been making a loud nosie from 1st-4th gear, just recently its been doing it in 5th an 6th. I have a Banks six-gun on it an a 4" exhaust but it made the nosie a few times before the tune an its getting to be an everyday thing. I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem.

Jul 7, 2011
Georgia
Its not the a/c clutch or any gasket leaks. I bought the truck used an havent changed the tranny fuild, i don't know if its getting(it only seems to make the noise over with trans temp over 180 degrees) hot an thinning out making that nosie im thinking about changing it but ive always been told just to leave the transmission alone :( should i change it or not?