LLY: Losing water somewhere, little help please

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
got a question, i picked up an 05 LLY a couple weeks ago, and they had replaced the radiator the day before i bought it. they also told me that the hose hooking up from the egr cooler, to wherever it goes, was replaced.

while replacing the steering box and one of the power steering hoses, i noticed some antifreeze under the truck.. thought thats just great! another leak!

ive had to fill the overflow tank a couple times within the past week.

im trying to pinpoint where this could be coming from. i dont know if its coming from the egr connections, the bottom radiator hose to water pump connection, if its coming from the connection from the water pump to the oil cooler, or if its coming from somewhere worse... could you guys give me a little guidance as to whats commonly known to have issue with these lly's, and maybe where to start? still a little green on the duramax's :eek:

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
is there any excess pressure in the coolant? any coming out of the overflow when you fill it to the proper level? anything coming out of the exhaust?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
look at the hard pipe going into the thermostat housing. i had that fitting going to the turbo leaking on mine where is screws into the pipe. and did you get a good look at the weep hole in the water pump? and what side of the engine is the leak on?

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
ok, no water out of the exhaust.

the leak is on the drivers side front. i will have to try to get a better look at the weep hole, i havent really gone that far into looking at that area..

another question i have is, when the engine is to operating temp, it may run at 180 or a little degrees.. is that normal for a duramax? i didnt know if they were supposed to run warmer, say at 210 or so.. but if it stays running that cool during the summer, ill be happy lol! but id like to make sure that its supposed to run that cool, just in case..

and thanks so far for all you guy's help!

darkone98

Sep 12, 2012
Markerville, AB
Mine sits around there for this time of year while cruising. Definitely sounds like a bad water pump, but I have had my water pump cover seal leak too.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Mine will almost run straight up in the hot summer and when driving easy around town it will run closer to 180

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
water pump is really common close to a 100k although mine shit the bed at 92k how many miles does yours have?

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
this one has 285k on it... i dug around in the glove box, but couldnt find any kind of records of maintenance done to this truck, so i doubt the water pump has ever been touched on this thing...

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Ok I'm going to take a look those evening and see what I find. Are there any good write ups you guys recommend to watch for changing one of these out? I like to be prepared before I take on projects like this lol

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
You have to pull the harmonic balancer off because there is a bolt behind it holding the water pump on. Other than that its not to bad. Some people don't put the bolt back in so that they don't have to pull it off next time.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
pull the driver side inner fender well and you can see the weep hole from there. changing one isn't that bad. clutch fan is right hand thread, will need to remove the balancer also and be sure to get a good quality gm pump, off brand chinese ones are junk, good luck:thumb: