LLY: Losing prime

rodbuilder

Aug 16, 2016
I have a 2004 dually Duramax that I just bought, and all of a sudden it's losing prime every time I shut it off. Once I give it a whisp of ether it fires right up.

I had a guy buy an old F350 Ford from me today and his buddy told me that the Duramax is known to have the o-ring on the fuel filter housing go bad, which causes this problem.

Has anyone had this (Losing prime) happen before and what did you do to correct it?

HELP!!!! And thanks!

rodbuilder

Aug 16, 2016
Yeah? So what do I need to do it and where do I have to buy whatever it needs? Is it just an o-ring that went south, or what?

I'm kinda sorry I even bought this p.o.s. Duramax! I drive a 2000 Dodge now and I can't imagine Cummins doing something so stupid, like putting this goofy filter adapter on one of their engines.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dorman 904-124 is what you need. Takes about 20 minutes to rebuild it. Might want to have some 1/2" fuel hose on hand in case you have to replace the hoses to and from the filter, too. Lift pump will help, too.

"POS Duramax" b/c of the filterhead -- thats a new one. ALL makes have their issues.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah? So what do I need to do it and where do I have to buy whatever it needs? Is it just an o-ring that went south, or what?

I'm kinda sorry I even bought this p.o.s. Duramax! I drive a 2000 Dodge now and I can't imagine Cummins doing something so stupid, like putting this goofy filter adapter on one of their engines.

You can go right ahead leave this site now. It's clear the sophistication of a common rail v8 is far beyond the capacity of your brain

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hope that's all you wanted to say, you won't have much in a choice to stay now.

See ya mr inexperienced mechanic

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Lol.... But your on here asking for help acting like this?

Your on a duramax forum saying it's a pos...... What did you except.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
:(Aww, I missed the witty comeback.... Mike is to on the ball today:D

It was pretty intense. He was NOT happy.

Thing that gets me is he got that truck for a song in the first place, so WTH did he have to complain about?
$25 in o-rings and 20 minutes of time? Sheesh.

The insults that followed (started by?) my reply sure didnt help. I wish this forum had not turned into a Google destination for people new to Duramax trucks.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's all good Tom. Weeding out these guys isn't all that hard. They do it to them selves

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It was pretty intense. He was NOT happy.

Thing that gets me is he got that truck for a song in the first place, so WTH did he have to complain about?
$25 in o-rings and 20 minutes of time? Sheesh.

The insults that followed (started by?) my reply sure didnt help. I wish this forum had not turned into a Google destination for people new to Duramax trucks.

Ohh lol, another sensitive one...

Sorry Rod, I forgot the internet is serious business:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
He managed to piss off everyone pretty quickly. Problem is there isn't much good tech in the other forums. Notice all the one shot wonders asking for help here? These idiots will never contribute because they know nothing. Seems they all come here demanding help and get butt hurt real easy.:rolleyes:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a 2004 dually Duramax that I just bought, and all of a sudden it's losing prime every time I shut it off. Once I give it a whisp of ether it fires right up.

I had a guy buy an old F350 Ford from me today and his buddy told me that the Duramax is known to have the o-ring on the fuel filter housing go bad, which causes this problem.

Has anyone had this (Losing prime) happen before and what did you do to correct it?

HELP!!!! And thanks!

Josh H got it, so much for rebuilding the filter head..

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
He managed to piss off everyone pretty quickly. Problem is there isn't much good tech in the other forums. Notice all the one shot wonders asking for help here? These idiots will never contribute because they know nothing. Seems they all come here demanding help and get butt hurt real easy.:rolleyes:
Seriously though....where's the tech on this forum nowadays? KidTurbo's thread?

Similar to what Mike said, from CompD:

My Gosh, you phuckkers could ruin a wet dream.

This forum hasn't gone to crap or anywhere else. The problem is the rookies now come in draggin' blankets and claim entitlement to respect and kind words. The senior members have just got tired of the crap and have all become crotchety and can no longer hold their tongues. It's all in good fun so everyone quisherbishin' and get on with educational conversation and comedy.

Both correct.