LLY: looking to confirm my problem/ introduce myself

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
New to the site, names Josh, from south Ga. Need a little help with my truck. After searching a bit I think I in need of a set of injectors. Truck started missing after getting off the interstate. Got it home, scanned it and it came up with these codes p0308 "cylinder 8 misfire" and u0106 "lost communication w/ glow plug control module". So I checked my balance rates and found this... #1 -5.6 #2 -4.3 #3 -3.5 #4 2.7 #5 -3.0 #6 -7.0 #7 -5.2 #8 15.00 From what I've read anything more than/less +/- 6.0 is bad my #6 and #8 do not change from park to drive "if this matters". Also there was a fuel rail pressure regulator code but I deleted it by accident and it would not pull up under the history. Sorry for the novel, any help is appreciated.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do you notice any smoke out of the exhaust? If you pull the oil fill cap and crank the truck, is there a lot of blow by?

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but welcome to the forum. :welcome8:

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
I don't have any smoke at idle, I'll try looking for blow by. I just checked my balance rates last week and they were all under +/- 4.00.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
Checked for blow by, there were small puffs of white smoke coming out but not a lot. I've seen way worse on my buddys truck that ran fine.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would probably do a compression check before you replace injectors.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Would the rubbing problem lly's have be the culprit of this?

I forget which cylinders it affects,check the engine harness by the alternator for damaged wires, it's worth a look.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Would the rubbing problem lly's have be the culprit of this?

I forget which cylinders it affects,check the engine harness by the alternator for damaged wires, it's worth a look.
It could, but that usually throws an injector circuit code as well depending on which wires get rubbed through. It is definitely worth checking though. Good call.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Was there a recent fuel up? Bad fuel, water stirred up? Check the comp on the worst cyl is a cheap start. If thats good, clear bottle a fuel sample from the filter to look for contaminates.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
Was there a recent fuel up? Bad fuel, water stirred up? Check the comp on the worst cyl is a cheap start. If thats good, clear bottle a fuel sample from the filter to look for contaminates.
bad fuel could be very possible I did just have to have the tank on my tractor drained because of bad fuel. I am running a hydrosorbe 10 micron filter.

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to have my mechanic do a compression test. Will it hurt to drive it say 30 miles if I do have a valve problem?

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
I did the ice pick trick on #2 and #7 check the wiring harness it looks like it may have rubbed on the alternator braket in the past there is a bunch of electrical tape on the wire loom where the previous owner may have worked on it. No change when I ran the truck it still has a bad miss at idle. I hooked up the scan tool and tried to look at my balance rates they were all at 0.00? Maybe i was doing something wrong but all the other PID's I selected were reading fine. Also the fuel pressure regulator code came back. It's a p0089 "fuel pressure regulator 1 performance". If I free rev the truck it clears up around 2500 rpm if it drops below 2500 it starts shaking and missing again. Hope what I'm saying is making sense! Again thanks for everyones help!